Re: Urban renewal on the west side of the pond...

"conwaycaine" <conwaycaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

"Deirdre Sholto Douglas" <finch.enteract@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
conwaycaine wrote:

And tomatoes really aren't that difficult to grow.
A little preparation and a little care is all it takes.
(Hint: mix a handful of powdered lime in the hole in which you are
planting the tomatoes. Stops End Blossom Rot)
Being old as the hills, I now grow about three Better Boys each year and
have loads of tomatoes.
Why Better Boys?
They bear heavily, are disease resistant, and have a great acidic taste.

I don't much care for the "virus-free" cultivars...they
traded off a lot of flavour to acquire that immunity.
We had, in addition to the Amish Paste I mentioned
to Cory, "Black plum" (large mahogany coloured cherry
type) "Super Snow" (a pale yellow about the size of
a golf ball with a peach fuzz exterior), "Yellow pear"
(your standard small light bulb shaped critter) and
Besser Cherry (a largish red produced in clusters).

Have a wee keek at these folk:

http://www.heirloomtomatoes.bizland.com/

Now some of the heirloom verities have a better taste but they are the
dickens to grow in this virus ridden place.

Too much tobacco grown in the same region?

I'd never thought of that but there might well be a connection.

A good friend of mine (and an avid gardener) had a heirloom variety tomato
he grew.
They was so tasty, people would come from everywhere to buy them.
He had shoes he kept at the garden edge which he out on to walk about.
Oh and he took precautions to keep viruses out of his tomato patch.
Then his brother-in-law decided to walk through the garden in his street
shoes (with my friend screaming at him)
In came the virus and out went the tomatoes.

Geez. Tell me about it.
I lost a few friends that way. They just didn't understand about garden
hygiene.
Apart from mosaic viri I had to try to keep out clubroot.
I found the best system was simply not to have any friends. A tradition I
kept up even after I left the growing business.

  • Re: Urban renewal on the west side of the pond...
    ... A little preparation and a little care is all it takes. ... have loads of tomatoes. ... A good friend of mine (and an avid gardener) had a heirloom variety tomato ... He had shoes he kept at the garden edge which he out on to walk about. ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • Re: Upstanding reason to eat tomatoes.
    ... It is difficult to grow anything in the desert, ... As you point out, the soil is terrible, ... The drip system allows a gardener to put water exactly where ... Cherry tomatoes seem to be a lot hardier than larger tomatoes. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re(2): Family Contest
    ... the place is no good for hot weather veggies. ... I am of two minds about tomatoes. ... Also being in the western Washington/Oregon area, I've grown both peppers ... For the beginning gardener in competition with the "old folks", ...
    (rec.gardens.edible)
  • Re: Too many tomato plants
    ... I’m a VERY armature gardener and this year I decided to grow my own ... I bought 3 seed packets and planted all 3 packets into 3 seed ... I thought I could plant them all into 3-4 ... Learn to preserve the tomatoes, I see canning in your future. ...
    (rec.gardens.edible)
  • Re: Urban renewal on the west side of the pond...
    ... I now grow about three Better Boys each year and have loads of tomatoes. ... A good friend of mine (and an avid gardener) had a heirloom variety tomato he grew. ... Then his brother-in-law decided to walk through the garden in his street shoes (with my friend screaming at him) ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)