news:5d5c3949-f1f5-47aa-a8ce-a37708249884@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sep 12, 11:52 pm, "Adam Whyte-Settlar" <ador@ble> wrote:
"Cory Bhreckan" <corybhreckan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

news:laByk.44$Yw1.30@xxxxxxxxxxx

Adam Whyte-Settlar wrote:
"Josiah Jenkins" <josiah-jenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message
news:ebajc4lu8t5u4j7soosv23ond3qomtnf4g@xxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 05:39:20 -0700 (PDT), Jane Margaret Laight
<jml27...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[from alt.obituaries]

http://news.scotsman.com/opinion/Stuck-in-a-battle-with.4352529.jp

Stuck in a battle with booze
Gerry Rafferty . . .
What would an Embra paper know about Glasgow culture ?

The Humblebums were a Scottish folk band, based in Glasgow.
Billy Connolly (banjo) co-founded the band with Tam Harvey

They got it completely arse abut face re the donkeys too.

I think you're protesting just a wee bit too much about the donkeys.

So why do you hate donkeys so much?

I like donkeys. I once bought a baby donkey for five dinars in North
Africa, but the Brits
wouldn't let me bring her home because of "African Horse sickness". So
I gave her
to an Arab family and the last I saw of her was several little girls
climbing all
over her, tying rags for ribbons to her tiny mane...
She was so small that I could carry her in my arms.
I have a thing about waifs and strays, being one myself...

I ate part of one once. Oddly enough that was North Africa too.

It's just that the British are famously sentimental when it comes to
donkeys - even down to establishing 'donkey sancturies' while humans are
left to die on the streets - and I've never heard of any being mistreated in
that country. Certainly not as 'standard during a British summer'. Unless
they mean the donkey rides on the beach. Not much fun I suppose but hardly
'cruelty'.

.