news:5d5c3949-f1f5-47aa-a8ce-a37708249884@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sep 12, 11:52 pm, "Adam Whyte-Settlar" <ador@ble> wrote:
"Cory Bhreckan" <corybhreckan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

news:laByk.44$Yw1.30@xxxxxxxxxxx

Adam Whyte-Settlar wrote:
"Josiah Jenkins" <josiah-jenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message
news:ebajc4lu8t5u4j7soosv23ond3qomtnf4g@xxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 05:39:20 -0700 (PDT), Jane Margaret Laight
<jml27...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[from alt.obituaries]

http://news.scotsman.com/opinion/Stuck-in-a-battle-with.4352529.jp

Stuck in a battle with booze
Gerry Rafferty . . .
What would an Embra paper know about Glasgow culture ?

The Humblebums were a Scottish folk band, based in Glasgow.
Billy Connolly (banjo) co-founded the band with Tam Harvey

They got it completely arse abut face re the donkeys too.

I think you're protesting just a wee bit too much about the donkeys.

So why do you hate donkeys so much?

I like donkeys. I once bought a baby donkey for five dinars in North
Africa, but the Brits
wouldn't let me bring her home because of "African Horse sickness". So
I gave her
to an Arab family and the last I saw of her was several little girls
climbing all
over her, tying rags for ribbons to her tiny mane...
She was so small that I could carry her in my arms.
I have a thing about waifs and strays, being one myself...

I ate part of one once. Oddly enough that was North Africa too.

It's just that the British are famously sentimental when it comes to
donkeys - even down to establishing 'donkey sancturies' while humans are
left to die on the streets - and I've never heard of any being mistreated in
that country. Certainly not as 'standard during a British summer'. Unless
they mean the donkey rides on the beach. Not much fun I suppose but hardly
'cruelty'.

  • Re: Gerry Rafferty
    ... What would an Embra paper know about Glasgow culture? ... I think you're protesting just a wee bit too much about the donkeys. ... Oddly enough that was North Africa too. ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • Re: Gerry Rafferty
    ... What would an Embra paper know about Glasgow culture? ... They got it completely arse abut face re the donkeys too. ... Oddly enough that was North Africa too. ...