Re: Here's one for you, jjj!

"Deirdre Sholto Douglas" <finch.enteract@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:47DA71BB.7DC63A7B@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Adam Whyte-Settlar wrote:

"Deirdre Sholto Douglas" <finch.enteract@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:47D98946.3AD15A6A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

or exerts from then at some point in the distant past.
However, Conway said;
"You should have stuck with the "Dick and Jane" series."
To which I replied;
"It was 'Jack and Jill' eckshully" because it was impossible for me to
have
read 'Dick and Jane in the UK (hence JJJ's comment about availability)
and
the nearest British equivalent was 'Jack and Jill'

Not really. The nearest is probably _Smoke and Fluff_
or even _Downy Duckling_ or _The Green Umbrella_...
any of the Ladybird Books are a closer match than
Jack and Jill

I would agree re the format - not the subject matter.

Subject matter is a very subjective sort of criterion, Adam...
but from the standpoint of vocabularly _Jack and Jill_ (and
_Andy Pandy_ for that matter) were intended for older
readers whereas _Dick and Jane_ were for the set still in
the "See...puh-uuu-fff-fff...Puff run!" sounding out letters
reading level.

Yes. But although I agree the reading levels were vastly different both
Americans and British kids were of the same age.

Actually, you don't have to explain it to me, I knew
what you were referring to, however you took Conway's
apple (a child's book) and compared it to your orange
(a comic/periodical)...and the two just aren't really com-
parable.

Well that's fair enough, the publishing formats are different but it
isn't
that relevant as I was essentially comparing the bubble-gum 'characters'
rather than the media itself.

<shrug> Part and parcel of that particular genre of reading
material...sanitising the world for the very young has been
going on all our lives and probably most of this century. Read
_Katie the Kitten_ a few thousand ("Katie the kitten, a small
tiger cat, is asleep in the hallway, curled up in a hat. She's
awake now.") times and you'll find the same white-bread family...
those folk get around.

Well of course - the spoilt little brats could afford decent bikes couldn't
they?

SFAIUI the essence was the same in that they were the usual
white-middle-class-perfect-family goo we were spoon fed on, on both sides
of
the pond. One glance at the shoes all fout of the little brats are
wearing
alone speaks volumes.

They appear to be standard lace up oxfords and/or mary-
janes...is that somehow telling? When I was growing up,
wearing shoes _was_ the standard...was it different for
you?

Read 'Another Roadside Attraction' again. Wolfe explains the significance
and import of lace-up Oxfords a lot better than I can.

If I was going to find fault with clothing, it would be with
the dirndl style frocks (with the implied smocking) which
the girls played in...even I wasn't allowed to play in such
and I had a mother who kept me seriously overdressed in
girly-girl clothes until I reached school age.

I can understand how you feel. That happened to my Uncle Cecil when he was a
boy.

Give me a break - it was a one-second one-liner aimed at humouring a
senile
old hick - exactly what level of entertainment do you *expect* to get for
free?

Free? Free?! Last time I looked I _paid_ to access the
internet...is someone giving it away for nothing? How do
I find them?

I bet they all had a dog, a cat, *and* a bloody goldfish.

Some of us still do.

Common now - middle-class in fifties Britain. Before I was born my parents
kept rabbits it's true - but only until such point as they (the rabbits)
were fat enough to eat.

That's why when I discovered the ghastly truth about Jack and Jill I
over-reacted and fled headlong to 'The Victor' which was all
blood-and-guts
English war heros and their faithfull Scottish batmen.

I believe, in the US in that time period, children fled into
a various mystery series like _The Hardy Boys_ and
_Nancy Drew_...by the time my daughter was that age,
they were bailing into _Animorphs_ and _Goosebumps_
(the latter gave her nightmares for a year.)

Aw Man.
Tell me about it.
I know one little kid, about 4 at the time, w about 38, who developed
lifelong arachnaphobia after being read a story from one of those 'pop-up'
books.
Who's brilliant idea was the pop-up tarantula? Did he get paid?
I had a bit of a phobia about the undead from about age 7 too.

The more things change...

  • Re: Heres one for you, jjj!
    ... "It was 'Jack and Jill' eckshully" because it was impossible for me to ... read 'Dick and Jane in the UK ... Subject matter is a very subjective sort of criterion, ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • Re: Heres one for you, jjj!
    ... You'll have difficulty 'Spotting' Dick and Jane in a UK bookshop. ... "It was 'Jack and Jill' eckshully" because it was impossible for me to ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • Re: Heres one for you, jjj!
    ... You aren't - without even opening that link I can tell you that I know there is a US equivalent 'Dick and Jane' and I have even seen a couple of strips or exerts from then at some point in the distant past. ... "It was 'Jack and Jill' eckshully" because it was impossible for me to have read 'Dick and Jane in the UK and the nearest British equivalent was 'Jack and Jill' and by chance I really did get that comic every week when I was about 4 or 5 I guess. ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • Re: Heres one for you, jjj!
    ... You'll have difficulty 'Spotting' Dick and Jane in a UK bookshop. ... "It was 'Jack and Jill' eckshully" because it was impossible for me to have read 'Dick and Jane in the UK and the nearest British equivalent was 'Jack and Jill' and by chance I really did get that comic every week when I was about 4 or 5 I guess. ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • Interesting Case That Applies to Independent Contractor/Employee Laws in Dentistry
    ... A workers' compensation judge ruled that the N.E. Phila. ... A Pennsylvania workers' compensation judge has ruled that the Jack & ... Jill Ice Cream Co. must pay survivor benefits to children of a driver who ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)