Time to Malaysianise common law system

Sep. 25th, 2007 | 01:14 am
mood: blah

Time to Malaysianise common law system

IKIM VIEWS
By Dr Wan Azhar Wan Ahmad

It should be based on ethical, moral and legal values shared by the followers of
the major religions.

THE Chief Justice of Malaysia, Tun Ahmad Fairuz Sheikh Abdul Halim, in his
opening speech at Ikim's seminar titled Ahmad Ibrahim: His Intellectual Thought
and Contributions, expressed his disappointment over the captive mentality of
our legal experts, practitioners, judges and lawyers in reference to the high
esteem they accorded English law, or to be more specific, English Common Law
(ECL).

He regretted that despite the nation being independent for 50 years, we still
retained, followed and rigidly adhered to s. 3 and 5 of the Civil Law Act 1956
(CLA). The provisions of these two sections prescribe the complete application
of ECL for the entire nation.

In reality, many tend to interpret these sections as if we are duty bound to
refer to English Law in case of lacuna in our own law. In relation to this,
Ahmad Fairuz posts four important questions for us, particularly the legal
fraternity, to ponder on. They were:

DOES this condition reflect that this country is bereft of legal expertise?

DOES it mean that English Common Law is the best option?

DOES it mean that our legal experts are still shackled by the yoke of the colonials (di bawah tempurung penjajah)?

IS IT true that our legal scholars are impotent, in other words unable to formulate and develop a legal system better in comparison with ECL?

He has called for the Common Law of England to be replaced by our very own
common law.

The CJ?s remarks were reported in local dailies nationwide. Amazingly, many
commented positively, including some political leaders. But there were also
voices of discontent from certain quarters describing the call to replace ECL as
?baseless.?

What is English Common Law? In brief, it refers to the unwritten law of customs
based on the decisions of judges over a period of years in England, i.e. law
derived from customs and judicial precedent. This includes the rules of equity,
and later, various statutes of general application, developed and administered
in that country.

The British introduced this set of laws to Malaysia firstly through various
treaties with local rulers followed by legislation and decisions by English
judges or judges trained in the English legal system.

The call by Ahmad Fairuz reiterates one made by another (former) Chief Justice,
Tun Abdul Hamid Omar (in 1990), who said words to the effect that being an
independent country, our reference to ECL and the rules of equity ? by virtue of
s. 3, CLA ? was politically indefensible. He continued that s. 3 needed to
either be repealed or amended.

It is not an exaggeration to say that actually all these recommendations may be
traced to the famous legal expertise of Prof Ahmad Ibrahim. Many would agree
that he was not only the originator but also the prime mover of this idea, and
he inspired many.

Prof Ahmad wrote that s. 3 and 5 of the CLA should be amended by repealing all
references to ECL and the rules of equity administered in England.

He strongly suggested that we should refer to the court decisions in Malaysia
instead by applying our own laws and by giving priority to the local conditions
and its people, thus establishing and developing our own Malaysian Common Law
(MCL).

Prof Ahmad argued that the last part of s. 3 of CLA itself should allow for the
formation and development of MCL. It provides that ?the said common law, rules
of equity and statutes of general application shall be applied so far only as
the circumstances of the States of Malaysia and their respective inhabitants
permit and subject to such qualifications as local circumstances render
necessary.?

Obviously, the CLA is not to be followed blindly or literally. The very
provision itself suggests that even its drafters expect us to develop our own
common law. Indeed, there are enough grounds for us to establish our MCL.

Unfortunately, Prof Ahmad laments, in spite of the fact that all our civil court
judges, from the lowest to the highest, are all appointed from among Malaysians,
they do not show interest or use their abilities to modify ECL to suit or to
conform to local circumstances.

If there is any modification, which is very rare, it is done by rejecting an
English law in preference for another English law. So, in spite of our
independence, local judges and lawyers, and possibly draftsmen, are not. We are
still tied to English law and to its court?s decisions.

Ahmad Fairuz lends his full support to the notion of repealing or amending the
CLA. He stresses that it should be done using whatever necessary and possible
modifications, in the spirit and perspective championed by Prof Ahmad.

It is hard to really understand why certain ?learned? groups ? both within the
legal fraternity and without ? refuse to forsake ECL. Prof Ahmad boldly states
that the formation of MCL must be based on the basic law of the land, i.e. Islam
and Malay customs.

He finds support for this in the court decision of Ramah vs Laton (1927),
presided over by an English judge. Could this form the raison d?etre for such a
rejection?

To hold to this as true is baseless, unfounded and would encourage fear of the
unknown and bring Islamophobia to the surface. Historically, it is logical, and
no one can argue the fact that the basic law of any nation must always be
associated with real truth and justice.

All must understand that while Islam is theologically distinct from other
religions and whose worldview is complete, in terms of similarities as far as
ethics, morality, its value system and legal principles, it has a lot in common
with other major religions. There?s tremendous parallelism of all world
religions in these aspects.

So when we talk about Malaysian Common Law, we mean the formation and
development of a system of law based on these ethical, moral and legal values
shared by the followers of the major religions.

There may be certain values in the English legal tradition that may not suit our
common moral precepts. It is against these elements that we must stand united.

This is the spirit that should be remembered when we argue for a cessation to
reference to foreign laws to settle our disputes. In this regard, any notion of
a super imposition of any one religious theological teaching upon the followers
of other religions must never be part of that consideration.

For a common law system in our pluralistic society to become manifest, the basis
should be Islam, and arguably to a lesser extent, Malay customs. This must not
be taken as an outright denial of the role and contribution of other religions
or races. Input from other cultures and traditions will serve as great additions
towards a harmonious peaceful life in this beloved land.

Perhaps the best term to describe the formation and development of this
Malaysian Common Law is ?Malaysianisation.?

"Malaysian-isation?!" I must not be a Malaysian, then =/.

Link | Leave a comment
Comments {0}
xan-na.livejournal
[WHEN REPLYING TO MY XPOST PLEASE DELETE THE XPOST]

  • Re: Use of middle names
    ... "common law": law common to all parts of the country, ... The OED cites "common-law marriage" to 1909, but I see it back to 1855 ... wife, the petitioner reminded the deceased of his promise to marry ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Chief Judge agrees with me on Yuman Rytes
    ... being overtaken by European human rights rules. ... In a staunch defence of national sovereignty, the Lord Chief ... was threatening to 'assume an unspoken priority over common law'. ... its standing as a common law authority. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Sluts & whores come in all shapes and sizes...even those pretending to be pious Muslims: Jou
    ... COMMON LAW refers to ... branch of Law within the Common Law system (or even within the Code ... "Joubin Houshyar" still hasn't responded to the distinction made to ... "Good Cop/Bad Cop, known in British military circles as Mutt and Jeff ...
    (soc.culture.iranian)
  • Re: Todays Deep Thots
    ... you not know that if every "law on the books" (as in legislated ... These things have always been crimes under Common ... Common Law, but it is still recognized in some States, and this ... include misdemeanor false imprisonment, misdemeanor obstruction of ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)
  • Re: Walking Englishman
    ... Citation, please about common law! ... If you have not registered your trade mark you may still be able to take ... using the common law of passing off. ...
    (uk.rec.walking)