Khazanah Nasional, Malaysia's state investment agency, wants to become a
strategic investor in China, saying the world's most populous nation is an
important market for the company.

Friday, March 24, 2006

Khazanah Nasional, Malaysia's state investment agency, wants to become a
strategic investor in China, saying the world's most populous nation is an
important market for the company.
Khazanah is also keen on infrastructure projects in Indonesia and wants to
invest in the banking industry in Asia, including Malaysia, its managing
director Azman Mokhtar said.

"You cannot ignore China," Azman said in Kuala Lumpur. "It's also a market
where we are fairly cautious, because in many cases everybody wants to
invest in China, but many have been less than prudent in China."

Khazanah has been revamping government-linked companies such as Telekom
Malaysia and Bumiputra- Commerce Holdings and pushing them to invest
overseas in an effort to reap better returns.

It has spent about US$866 million (HK$6.75 billion) since January 2005
buying stakes in foreign companies including Parkson Retail Group in Hong
Kong and Bank Lippo in Indonesia. It has stakes in more than 40 firms worth
more than 150 billion ringgit (HK$315.27 billion) in market value.

BLOOMBERG

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/

This article is copyrighted material, the use of which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
-pluto
.