Re: One in 25 'fathers' raises another man's child

wives adultery ?

pluto wrote:
[pn: this survey is done in uk , not my ;-)]

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article305152.ece
11 August 2005 16:09 Home > News > UK > Health Medical One in 25 'fathers' raises another man's child

By Jeremy Laurance, Health Editor Published: 11 August 2005 An outbreak of male paranoia is guaranteed today with the finding that one
in 25 fathers may be unknowingly raising a child who is not his own.

A review of studies of DNA profiling, the ultimate proof of a genetic
relationship, shows that the rate of "paternal discrepancy" - where the man
tested is not the actual biological father of the child - ranges from 1 per
cent to 30 per cent.

Researchers from the Centre for Public Health at Liverpool John Moores
University say the average rate is 3.7 per cent, equivalent to almost one
in 25 who discover they are not the true fathers of the children they call
their own.

The revelation can be devastating for families but the implications have
not been understood, say the authors of the study, in the Journal of
Epidemiology and Community Health. In the UK, about a third of pregnancies
are unplanned and one in five women in long-term relationships has had an
affair.

The total number of families affected will be much higher than one in 25,
the researchers say, because for every "false" father identified through
testing there will be a true biological father elsewhere, possibly with a
family of his own.

The use of DNA testing is increasing rapidly and the judicial and health
systems are reliant on it for procedures such as organ donation and
criminal identification. In some cases, such as identifying disaster
victims, DNA tests have unwittingly revealed some with a different
biological identity from the one suggested by their credit cards, clothes
and personal possessions, adding to the distress of surviving relatives.

Professor Mark Bellis, chief author of the study, said: "We know infidelity
breaks up families. Twenty per cent of divorces feature claims of
infidelity by one or both partners. There are issues about the mental
health of the father, or the person who thought he was the father, as well
as the woman and the child.

"More and more people are taking these tests and they may receive some of
the most fundamental information about themselves and their closest
relatives for which they are unprepared. We have not looked at the
consequences of giving this information, or withholding it."

The impact of paternity testing was brought home during the public break-up
of the relationship between the former home secretary David Blunkett and
his former lover Kimberly Quinn after he demanded access to the child whom
testing proved he had fathered.

Several soap operas, including the now defunct Liverpool series Brookside,
have featured plotlines about disputed paternity and the Human Genetics
Commission has expressed concern after the results of paternity tests were
broadcast live on ITV's Trisha show.

DNA testing can be done using a hair follicle or mouth scrapings, and is
available by post from commercial agencies. Some countries are considering
outlawing the genetic testing of children without the consent of both
partners.

'I knew he wasn't my son'

Ian Gould proved he was not the father of his estranged lover's son - after
13 years of paying maintenance. He was named in a paternity claim in the
1980s before DNA tests were available, and had the same blood group as the
child, which gave him a 35 per cent chance of being the father.

After paying out £8,000 for the son he had no contact with, the CSA
demanded in 1994 that he increase weekly payments from £12 to £85. He
refused, insisting he was not the father. A DNA test proved they were not
related. The CSA refunded cash paid since 1994 but not payments made before
then.

Mr Gould said: "I knew in my heart that Craig wasn't my son. It has been
heart-rending at times. When he was 11 he came to our door and said he
wanted to get to know me. His mum had drummed it into him that we were
father and son."

He added: "The CSA just wouldn't listen."

[...]

======================================

cheers
pluto

  • Re: VERY IMPORTANT -
    ... "My Beloved Child, I am your Father in Heaven; ... Child, come hither. ... Spirit of God carries me. ... "Yes, My Lord." ...
    (uk.games.video.xbox)
  • VERY IMPORTANT -
    ... "My Beloved Child, I am your Father in Heaven; ... Child, come hither. ... Spirit of God carries me. ... "Yes, My Lord." ...
    (uk.games.video.xbox)
  • VERY IMPORTANT -
    ... "My Beloved Child, I am your Father in Heaven; ... Child, come hither. ... Spirit of God carries me. ... "Yes, My Lord." ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • MUY IMPORTANTE - VERY IMPORTANT -
    ... "My Beloved Child, I am your Father in Heaven; ... Child, come hither. ... Spirit of God carries me. ... "Yes, My Lord." ...
    (soc.culture.spain)
  • @@ Brits are TRULY bastards, genetic study shows @@
    ... Up to one in 25 dads could unknowingly be raising another man's child, ... The study appears in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. ... The Liverpool team found that rates of cases where a father was not the biological ... even basic counseling is not always provided - some individuals order and ...
    (soc.culture.iranian)