Rabbi Miri Gold

I received this from Anat Hoffman at IRAC
======================

Dear Partners,

We won! The attorney general has just released his consent to recognize Rabbi Miri Gold as the first Rabbi of a non-Orthodox congregation in the history of the Israel. Drink L'Chayim. Congratulate every Rabbi in our movement. Sound the shofar. Say She'hecheyanu. We won recognition for the first Reform Rabbi in Israel.

Over seven years you have played an invaluable part in this struggle. You stood with Miri every step of the way and we would not have reached this joyous day without your pressure from all corners of the Jewish world. The Israeli Attorney General accepted the request of the court and committed to equal pay for Rabbi Miri Gold for her work at Congregation Birkat Shalom. The State will give her the title "Rabbi".

The decision today paves the way for dozens of other Reform and Conservative Rabbis in Israel to receive a salary from the government for their holy work, in the same way that 4000 Orthodox rabbis do.

This historic victory is another step in leveling the playing field. This allows the Israeli Movement for Progressive Judaism to build on the success achieved so far by our congregational Rabbis, and deepen our work for the Israeli public.

Rabbi Gold said, “What joy! Finally there's more than one way to be a Rabbi in Israel!”

A few weeks ago, you sent over 5000 emails to Minister Margi telling him that stalling on this issue would fail. Your voice was heard. It is just as important to thank the government for doing the right thing as it is to pressure them when they are not. In that spirit, let’s write to Prime Minister Netanyahu and tell him that we are grateful that our Rabbi, Miri Gold, is finally able to perform her important work as an equal.

L’shalom,
Anat

--
Shelly

  • Re: Rabbi Miri Gold
    ... Rabbi Miri Gold as the first Rabbi of a non-Orthodox congregation in the ... the first Reform Rabbi in Israel. ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Kahane interview - G-ds law
    ... Meir Kahane and the Far Right in Israel. ... Rabbi Meir Kahane, you have been politically active for many ... From the start we have addressed ourselves to the Sephardic Jews. ... These people have lived among the Arabs. ...
    (soc.culture.jewish)
  • The Mainstreaming of Anti-Semitism
    ... the senior rabbi at one of Baltimore's ... ridiculous apologies for America's exceptional nature, American Jews ... The rabbi discussed a recent poll in which Israel joined Iran, ... It is time for American Jews to stand up and speak out. ...
    (alt.politics.bush)
  • Re: Rabbis Dictate Roils Israel
    ... Dozens of prominent rabbis in Israel, ... The ruling was first issued several weeks ago by Rabbi Shmuel Eliyahu, ... The religious ruling cites a number of famous Jewish sages such as ...
    (soc.culture.baltics)