Re: The Rite of Marriage is not a "Right'

On 5/29/2012 9:01 AM, moshes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
malcolm.mclean5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
mos...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

You're really on a rant here Jay. I think the word "natural law"
was used as Herman Rubin always uses it; the _physical_ way the
world runs. All your examples have nothing to do with that.

A "law of nature" is an observation about the physical world. A "natural la=
w" is a law that derives from immutable aspects of human psychology. You ca=
n't draw a firm line between the two. We have a psychological need to breat=
he because of the laws of oxidation/reducation reactions than underlie our =
biochemistry.

It's easy to laugh at the "divine right of kings". However of about 200 sta=
tes in the world, almost every one is represented by a single person. (The =
exceptions are oddballs like Andorra). Every single state has gone in for m=
onarchy, loosely defined. That's also true in history, the exceptions, like=
the joint reign of William and Mary, few and short-lived. There's only one=
major counter-example I can think of, which was the Roman republic with it=
s two consuls. That led to a protracted period of civil war. So it seems to=
be natural law that a sovereign entity will have one person designated as =
the leader.

Hmm, perhaps the difference is _how_ that "leader" is selected and
what if any are the constraints on his powers.

What Moshe? You reserve the calling of black and white to only me? <g>

Of COURSE it makes a difference -- a difference that Malcomb either overlooks or (worse) disregards. Subscribing to the "divine right of kings" and the election of a POTUS are so far apart that to lump the two as one is at best laughable and at worst ludicrous.

--
Shelly

  • Re: Catching Up with Christs prophesies & commandments
    ... >be above the law, and it was also what the US constitution was all about -- ... >ensuring that presidents didn't become kings with limitless powers. ... from a civil war over baronial rights to a war of resistance against foreign ...
    (soc.religion.quaker)
  • Re: Perez Hilton in trouble over Miley Cyrus photo
    ... exceptions only apply to defamation cases. ... in decency statutes trumps protected news gathering and publishishing ... use the law to defend himself at all. ...
    (rec.arts.tv)
  • Re: Louis Jacobs was: Re: Baruch Dayan Emet
    ... exceptions) certainly doesn't apply in 21st century modern countries. ... grinds their own medicine, so that you need to be afraid someone will ... Yes, we find many ways to make exceptions to the rule, but the rule itself ... circumstances such as this and applies the law to the modern world. ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: Farewell Lafosse
    ... such fundamental questions to one of the Kings of Arms. ... you cannot justify your assertion that you are in law ... could be brought before the Court of Chivalry, ...
    (rec.heraldry)
  • Re: Google Groups filtering emails?
    ... not a lawyer, nor have I read the law in any detail - but I believe I ... I strongly suspect that what Google are ... temporary monopoly on those rights with limitations and exceptions. ...
    (news.software.readers)