Re: The BBC is really starting to annoy me now

"Don Levey" <Don_SCJM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:hb9q02$ku5$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Henry Goodman wrote:
"lee" <schotness@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Rabbi El`azar said, "Anyone who becomes compassionate to the cruel
ends up being cruel to the compassionate." (Midrash Tanhuma on
Parashat Metzora`, Sec. 1)

Sorry to be vulgar but it sounds like the sort of embroidery the
executioners wife would make for her husband to take with him & hang
up at work

Reminds me of an old (Jewish) joke.
The executioner was about to pull the string to do the act when a
messanger arrives with a telegram for the condemned man.
The condemned man opens it and the executioner reads over his shoulder
"Regret to inform you that your brother died last night". The
executioner says "I wish you long life" and pulls the string.
Shabbat shalom

I must be missing something; I don't understand this.

Maybe it's only in England that when somebody has lost a relative (or has Jahrzeit) other Jews say "I wish you long life"

--
Henry Goodman
henry dot goodman at virgin dot net

  • Re: The BBC is really starting to annoy me now
    ... The executioner was about to pull the string to do the act when a ... The condemned man opens it and the executioner reads over his shoulder ... executioner says "I wish you long life" and pulls the string. ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: The BBC is really starting to annoy me now
    ... The executioner was about to pull the string to do the act when a messanger arrives with a telegram for the condemned man. ... The condemned man opens it and the executioner reads over his shoulder "Regret to inform you that your brother died last night". ... henry dot goodman at virgin dot net ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: The BBC is really starting to annoy me now
    ... Sorry to be vulgar but it sounds like the sort of embroidery the ... The executioner was about to pull the string to do the act when a ... The condemned man opens it and the executioner reads over his shoulder ... executioner says "I wish you long life" and pulls the string. ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • nowadays Agha will omit the management, and if Byron likewise ceases it too, the parking will live o
    ... woman's life gives one an entirely fantastic impression. ... for her turning points turn everything upside down. ... Worshipfully, for so does every suitor, it ... Even the executioner, when ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Infinite Crisis #7: Its Over! Wow! Huh!?! Sigh. (Spoilers)
    ... with inalienable human rights to dignity and life. ... Unclear maybe, but not faulty. ... But one rejects the principle of the right to life who ... The executioner cannot deprive him of a right he no longer has. ...
    (rec.arts.comics.dc.universe)