Re: American Jews and religion

On Jul 18, 10:12 am, Eliyahu <lro...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jul 17, 11:31 am, flav...@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On 17-Jul-2008, Ken <threeriversguy_2...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jul 4, 9:01 am, Q <quond...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jew·ess (js)
n. Offensive
A Jewish woman or girl.

I just checked a bunch o' dictionaries and some say offensive, some
don't, but none say archaic. Maybe I'm the one who is archaic.

I can't remember where I've seen it, but I've always seen it
as "archaic", & never offensive.
But I'm sure plenty of people thiink it is. I always go on
context in that case.

Susan

The more basic question is whether the use of a word which some find
offensive will accomplish the goal of effective communication, or
whether it will distract from the message. If the words we use call
attention to themselves, rather than conveying the ideas we're trying
to share, we've chosen the wrong words.

Eliyahu7

That's a very good point. If usage has come to cause a word to be
offensive or derogatory, then it's probably better to use a different
word rather than use a word whose spare baggage might cause it to be
misunderstood. In this case, "Jewish woman" works fine for just about
everybody.

-- Q

  • Re: Nicknames (was :Re: Do You Really Believe a Jew Can Be an
    ... agreed to raise his kids as Catholics. ... I'm wondering that's a particularly Jewish construction, ... college and I fell in love with English usage. ... language, obviously, but it does have its own syntax and grammar. ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: Maybe the OED should take note
    ... avoid calling people Jews and instead prefer Jewish (and whether this ... Jewish" much a one would use "the Amish." ... The latter usage has no PC issue that I am aware of. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: The Barbarians are Inside the Gates
    ... If you want to discuss English usage aspect of posts on political ... anti-Semite. ... You've brought in the type of criticism and the alleged ... of hostility or prejudice against Jewish people. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Maybe the OED should take note
    ... the users don't speak English as their first language; ... or they are well-educated and some are even Jewish. ... and not at all sure the usage is going to ... too many of these typos to think that they are unintentional. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Maybe the OED should take note
    ... language; they have an anti-Semitic agenda; they appear to be ... the usage is going to become common. ... Jewish" is a direct translation from some languages for "the ... instead of "Jews" may be a more commonly used than we think. ...
    (alt.usage.english)