Re: Spelling question: Abruzzi surname

I get the apostrophe left out *all the time*. I grew up without it,
but stuck it in when I found out that it should be there. I'm getting
married soon and wanted to make sure that I'm content with the
capitalization that goes on the official documents. I also want to
find out the proper way to pronounce it -- grew up with "day-tree" but
have been saying something like "DAHtree" now.

What to do, what to do ...

It amazes me that so much software refuses to take the apostrophe. I
had an issue with Southwest Airlines where I couldn't associate a
ticket with my FFM account because the former wouldn't let me put it
in, but the latter did. G'rr. It's puzzling how many people re-
arrange the letters even when I spell it out. "Datari" is a common
one; Datir is another. Heck I even once got "Daytee".

  • Re: Preposterous apostrophes
    ... to kill off the apostrophe, we are stuck with it." ... Only a clever newspaper will recognize its folly....r ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Preposterous apostrophes
    ... to kill off the apostrophe, we are stuck with it." ... Purl Gurl ... So many are stumped by what slips right off the top of my mind ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Why, hi there!
    ... that it was a mistake that they've stuck with. ... It's a rather strange usage. ... The place in Cornwall is given the name "Land's End" on maps in the expected fashion but the apostrophe is also omitted sometimes. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Preposterous apostrophes
    ... to kill off the apostrophe, we are stuck with it." ... Only a clever newspaper will recognize its folly....r ... I came to the conclusion last year that the apostrophe needs to be expunged ...
    (alt.usage.english)