Re: Proof?

On Aug 8, 5:40 pm, sam1...@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Aug 8, 12:41 am, donie <donien...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
--snip--

I do not agree with you. To muslims , your bible is already a
corrupted book , we do not need it for our faith. My contention
is that you christians do not even know your own bible.I keep
on asking for a response to the verses that were quoted. I
quoted them word for word with no changes. If you don't agree
on the interpretation , then what is the alternate interpretation?

Those verses foretell the coming of Jesus Christ.

Then you have got to show the proof and not just sweeping
it with a broad brush. I have listed the verses. What is the
interpretation from your side? I provided the interpretation
from my end with tests to the interpretation. You have not
provided such. Following up on what you mentioned before,
we need to show proof when making a claim. You also nee
to do one better ...... you have got to apply tests to the verses
when making such claims. I need to see that from you.

Sam, you are asking for a proof again. Let's go back a bit. You are
the one who contain that your prophet muhammat is foretold in
Christianity bible. I argued it should be you moslems supporting your
own claim. You shouldn't ask christians to proof that your claim is
right. You agree, but then you ask :"then what is the alternate
interpretation?" I replied : "Those verses foretell the coming of
Jesus Christ."

Gee.. Sam, you are asking us to prove our own interpretation of our
own books. We can certainly provide you how we arive at our
interpretation, but I can tell you from the onset that that wouldn't
serve the purpose of supporting your claim. Our interpretation would
only be 'proving' to our own eyes. Aren't you emotional rather than
logical expecting Christians to buy your interpretation of the
selected bible verses you quote? What would then that serve? You
already state that you don't believe in the bible, corrupted, you say.
You also say that you already have enough faith and confidence of the
prophethood of Muhammat without bible materials.

But then, I thought, who new that my friend Sam was really someone for
the catch of the 'parakletos', the Holy Spirit? Here is a lengthy
refutation of the not so famous claim, which necessarily contain our
interpretation and the tests, as you term it, Sam. Happy reading!

Is Muhammad Foretold in the Bible?
by John Gilchrist

Contents:

MUHAMMAD IN THE BIBLE?
MOSES AND THE PROPHET
1. The Word of God in the Prophet's mouth
2. A prophet from among their Brethren
3. A Prophet like unto Moses
4. Jesus - the Prophet like unto Moses
JESUS AND THE COMFORTER
BIBLIOGRAPHY

MUHAMMAD IN THE BIBLE?

During 1975 Ahmed Deedat held a series of lectures at the Durban City
Hall, two of which set out to prove that Muhammad is foretold in the
Bible. The first lecture, entitled "What the Bible Says About
Muhammad", dealt with the prophecy in Deuteronomy 18.18 in the Old
Testament, and in it Mr. Deedat sought to show that Moses was
predicting the coming of Muhammad when speaking of a prophet to follow
him who would be like him. During 1976 Mr. Deedat published this
lecture in booklet form under the same title. In his second lecture in
1975 he spoke on "Muhammad the Natural Successor to Christ" and here
he endeavoured to prove that Jesus was foretelling the coming of
Muhammad when he exhorted his disciples to wait for the coming of the
one he called the Comforter who, he said, would follow him.

Deedat's lectures were typical of numerous similar attempts that have
been made by Muslim writers over the years to make these two
particular prophecies fit Muhammad. The effort has generally arisen
from a verse in the Qur'an which states that the coming of Muhammad
was foretold in the Jewish and the Christian Scriptures. It reads:

Those who follow the Apostle, the unlettered Prophet, whom they
find mentioned in their own (Scriptures) - in the Law and the Gospel.
Surah 7.157

It is not surprising, therefore, to find that Muslims have searched
exhaustively through the "Law and the Gospel" (the Tawrat and the
Injil, the Old and New Testaments respectively) for proof that these
two books indeed contain prophecies of the coming of Muhammad. The
Qur'an seems to suggest that these prophecies would be found in the
Torah and the Gospel without much difficulty, but when Muslims have
applied themselves to finding these alleged predictions, they have
been unpleasantly surprised to discover that in these two books it is
Jesus who is the subject of the many prophecies in them and not
Muhammad. The birth of Jesus, his ministry, parables, miracles,
crucifixion, resurrection, ascension, second coming, deity, glory and
honour are the concerns of the prophetic texts of the Torah and the
Gospel, and so extensively do these prophecies herald his advent as
the ultimate climax of God's revealed truth and love towards men that
one cannot help but be struck by the fact that the Bible makes no
allowance for the anti-climax of a "prophet" to follow him. Such
prophecies are conspicuous only by their absence.

Nevertheless, spurred on by the assurance in the Qur'an that the Bible
indeed foretells the coming of Muhammad, Muslims have made every
effort to find these prophecies. The obvious dearth of material in
support of their quest has led most of them to wisely rely solely on
the two prophecies we have already mentioned - one in each of the
Testaments -, to prove their claim. Others, like Kaldani and
Vidyarthy, have unwisely tried to apply every major prophecy in the
Bible to Muhammad (including striking predictions of the crucifixion,
atoning work and resurrection of Jesus Christ in Isaiah 53 for
example!), but the shameless twists of interpretation that they have
been compelled to resort to together with an abdication of all reason
in their efforts to prove their points has fortunately restrained
other Muslims from following in their steps and they have accordingly
relied solely on the two prophecies we have mentioned, one by Moses
and one by Jesus respectively.

We are in the circumstances entitled to presume that these two
prophecies are believed by the Muslims to be the strongest in support
of their claims. Accordingly, if it can be proved that these texts do
not in any way refer to Muhammad, or anticipate his advent or
prophethood, then the whole theory that Muhammad is foretold in the
Bible must simultaneously fall to the ground.

We shall therefore in this booklet generously consider the strongest
evidence of the Muslims that Muhammad is foretold in these two
passages and will, in the light of the context of each passage, and of
other factors crucial to a proper determination of the matter, decide
whether the evidence is sufficient to prove the point or whether the
case must ultimately be found to go against them.

It is universally accepted in all civilised communities that if a
matter is to be determined properly, all the relevant evidence must be
weighed together and all irrelevant evidence must be ignored
accordingly. No matter how great the temptation may be to ignore the
relevant facts while giving undue weight to the irrelevant ones if
this is the only way a matter can be decided in one's favour, the man
who really loves the truth and seeks for it will resist the
temptation. It is our sincere hope that the Muslims who read this
document will do likewise.

MOSES AND THE PROPHET

"I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their
brethren; and I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to
them all that I command him".
Deuteronomy 18.18

Whenever Muslims seek to establish that Muhammad is foretold in the
Torah, the Old Testament, they invariably refer to this verse as the
one obvious prophecy in support of their claim. They argue that the
prophet who was promised by God to Moses was Muhammad because:

1. The Qur'an is allegedly the Word of God and therefore, as Muhammad
recited each passage that was delivered to him, he had the words of
God put into his mouth in accordance with the words of this prophecy;

2. The prophet to come would be from among the brethren of the
Israelites, hence the Ishmaelites, because Israel (Jacob) and Ishmael
were both descended from Abraham, and the tribes who descended from
the twelve sons of Ishmael are therefore "brethren" of the tribes who
descended from the twelve sons of Israel. As Muhammad was the only
Ishmaelite to claim prophethood in the line of the Old Testament
prophets, they aver that the prophecy can only refer to him;

3. Muhammad was like Moses in so many ways that the prophecy can only
refer to him.

We shall consider these claims briefly and will do so in the light of
the context of the prophecy, for this is the only way that a correct
interpretation of the text can be obtained. Every intelligent
expositor of scripture knows that no passage can be fairly interpreted
if it is isolated from its context. Therefore it is essential to quote
from the whole passage in which the prophecy is found and the
following two extracts are of great importance:

The Levitical priests, that is, all the tribe of Levi, shall have
no portion or inheritance with Israel; they shall eat the offerings by
fire to the Lord, and his rightful dues. They shall have no
inheritance among their brethren; the Lord is their inheritance as he
promised them.
Deuteronomy 18.1-2.

The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from
among you, from your brethren - him shall you heed - just as you
desired of the Lord your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly, when
you said, 'Let me not hear again the voice of the Lord my God, or see
this great fire any more, lest I die'. And the Lord said to me, 'They
have rightly said all that they have spoken. I will raise up for them
a prophet like you from among their brethren; and I will put my words
in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I shall command him.
And whoever will not give heed to my words which he shall speak in my
name, I myself will require it of him. But the prophet who presumes to
speak a word in my name which I have not commanded him to speak, or
who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die'.
Deuteronomy 18.15-20.

We shall proceed to briefly consider the three points that supposedly
prove that Muhammad is the prophet referred to in the text and
thereafter will, in the light of the context of the passage, discover
precisely which prophet is referred to in the prophecy contained in
Deuteronomy 18.18.

1. THE WORD OF GOD IN THE PROPHET'S MOUTH.

Christians do not believe that the Qur'an is the Word of God but,
purely for the sake of argument, we shall proceed as if God did indeed
put his words in Muhammad's mouth to discover whether this might prove
that Muhammad is the prophet referred to in Deuteronomy 18.18. In our
view the statement "I will put my words in his mouth" does not help to
identify the prophet referred to at all. It is true of every prophet
that God has put his words in his mouth. For God said to Jeremiah:

"Behold I have put my words in your mouth".
Jeremiah 1.9

Furthermore we also read in Deuteronomy 18.18 that the prophet to
follow Moses "shall speak to them all that I command him". Now we read
that Jesus once said to his disciples:

"For I have not spoken on my own authority; the Father who sent me
has himself given me commandment what to say and what to speak. And I
know that his commandment is eternal life. What I say, therefore, I
say as the Father has bidden me".
John 12.49-50.

A similar text which illustrates this point is found in the great
prayer which Jesus prayed on the last night that he was with his
disciples. He said:

"I have given them the words which thou gavest me".
John 17.8

In no way, therefore, can the identity of the prophet in the text of
Deuteronomy 18.18 be established from the fact that God would put his
words in his mouth. With every prophet who is true this is the case
and the great prophet referred to in the text, who would be uniquely
like Moses in a way that none of the other prophets were, must
accordingly be identified from other sources.

2. A PROPHET FROM AMONG THEIR BRETHREN.

Muslims allege that the expression "their brethren" in Deuteronomy
18.18 means the brethren of the Israelites, hence the Ishmaelites. In
this case, however, if we are truly to discover the real identity of
the prophet who would be like Moses, we must consider the expression
in its context.

God said, "I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among
their brethren." Of whom is God speaking when he speaks of "them" and
"their"? When we go back to the first two verses of Deuteronomy 18 we
find the answer:

"The Levitical priests, that is, all the tribe of Levi, shall have
no portion or inheritance with Israel ... they shall have no
inheritance among their brethren".
Deuteronomy 18.1-2.

It is abundantly clear from these two verses that "they" refers to the
tribe of Levi and that "their brethren" refers to the remaining eleven
tribes of Israel. This is an inescapable fact. No honest method of
interpretation or consistent method of exposition can possibly allow
that Deuteronomy 18.18 refers to anyone else than the tribe of Levi
and the remaining tribes of Israel. Let us briefly examine the only
possible exposition of the prophecy that can lead to a correct
interpretation and identification of "their brethren". We need only
accentuate the relevant words from Deuteronomy 18.1-2 to discover the
only possible conclusion that can be drawn. The text reads:

"The tribe of Levi shall have no inheritance with ISRAEL. They
shall have no inheritance among THEIR BRETHEREN".

Therefore the only logical interpretation of Deuteronomy 18.18 can be:
"I will raise up for them (that is, the tribe of Levi) a prophet like
you from among their brethren (that is, one of the other tribes of
Israel)". Indeed throughout the Old Testament one often finds the
expression "their brethren" meaning the remaining tribes of Israel as
distinct from the tribe specifically referred to. Let us consider this
verse as an example:

But the children of Benjamin would not listen to the voice of
their brethren, the children of Israel.
Judges 20.13

Here "their brethren" is specifically stated to be the other tribes of
Israel as distinct from the tribe of Benjamin. In Deuteronomy 18.18,
therefore, "their brethren" clearly means the brethren in Israel of
the tribe of Levi. Again in Numbers 8.26 the tribe of Levi is
commanded to minister to "their brethren", that is, the remaining
tribes of Israel. In 2 Kings 24.12 the tribe of Judah is distinguished
from "their brethren", once again the remaining tribes of Israel.
(Further scriptures proving the point are Judges 21.22, 2 Samuel 2.26,
2 Kings 23.9, 1 Chronicles 12.32, 2 Chronicles 28.15, Nehemiah 5.1 and
others).

Indeed in Deuteronomy 17.15 we read that Moses on one occasion said to
the Israelites "One from among your brethren you shall set as king
over you; you may not put a foreigner over you, who is not your
brother". Only an Israelite could be appointed king of Israel - "one
from among your brethren" - no foreigner, be he Ishmaelite, Edomite or
whoever he may be, could be made King of Israel because he was not one
of "their brethren", that is, a member of one of the tribes of Israel.

At this stage, therefore, we have a fatal objection to the theory that
Muhammad is foretold in Deuteronomy 18.18. He was an Ishmaelite and
accordingly is automatically disqualified from being the prophet whose
coming was foretold in that verse. The prophet was obviously to come
from one of the tribes of Israel other than the tribe of Levi. God
said he would raise up a prophet for the Levites like Moses from among
"their brethren", that is, from one of the other tribes of Israel. As
we intend to prove that Jesus was the prophet whose coming was
foretold it will be appropriate to mention at this stage that he was
descended from the tribe of Judah (Matthew 1.2, Hebrews 7.14). He is
therefore ably qualified to be the prophet who would be raised up from
among the brethren of the Levites.

3. A PROPHET LIKE UNTO MOSES.

The Islamic publications listed in the Bibliography to this booklet
are full of comparisons between Moses and Muhammad where evidence is
brought forward of certain likenesses between them. These publications
also produce many differences between Jesus and Moses as the authors
try to disprove that Jesus is the prophet whose coming was foretold in
Deuteronomy 18.18.

In his booklet "What the Bible Says About Muhummed" Mr. Deedat
produces a number of similarities between Moses and Muhammad which he
claims do not exist between Moses and Jesus. Most of these are
meaningless, however, and only serve to show the supreme uniqueness of
Jesus over against the whole human race. For example, Deedat argues
that Moses and Muhammad were both born naturally of human parents and
are buried on earth, whereas Jesus was born of a virgin-woman, had no
earthly father, and ascended to heaven (Deedat, What the Bible Says
About Muhummed", p. 7, 12). It is obvious that all men have natural
parents and go back to the dust, and all Mr. Deedat is doing is to
reveal certain ways in which Jesus was absolutely unique among men.
This does not help to identify the prophet predicted by Moses,
however.

In the publications referred to we do find occasionally more prominent
likenesses between Moses and Muhammad which do need to be analysed
more carefully. Three such comparisons are:

1. Moses and Muhammad became the lawgivers, military leaders, and
spiritual guides of their peoples and nations;

2. Moses and Muhammad were at first rejected by their own people, fled
into exile, but returned some years later to become the religious and
secular leaders of their nations;

3. Moses and Muhammad made possible the immediate and successful
conquests of the land of Palestine after their deaths by their
followers, Joshua and Umar respectively.

At the same time it is alleged in these publications that Jesus and
Moses were so different, according to Christian belief, that Jesus
cannot be the prophet referred to. Such differences are these:

1. Moses was only a prophet but, according to Christian belief, Jesus
is the Son of God;

2. Moses died naturally but Jesus died violently;

3. Moses was the national ruler of Israel which Jesus was not at any
time during his ministry here on earth.

We are constrained to ask: do these similarities and contrasts in any
way prove that Muhammad is the prophet like Moses whose coming was
foretold in Deuteronomy 18.18? It is the easiest of matters to show
that this sort of reasoning will in no way assist us to discover the
real identity of the prophet. Firstly, none of the alleged differences
between Moses and Jesus are of any importance. The Bible often calls
Jesus a prophet as well as the Son of God (see, for example, Matthew
13.57, 21.11, and John 4.44) and the fact that Jesus died violently is
hardly relevant to the issues at stake. Many prophets were killed by
the Jews for their testimonies, a fact to which both the Bible and the
Qur'an bear witness, (cf. Matthew 23.31, Surah 2.91). Furthermore the
Bible teaches that the Christian Church as a whole has replaced the
nation of Israel in this age as the collective object of God's special
favours. Likewise, whereas Moses led that nation during his life on
earth, so Jesus today heads the Church of God from his throne in
heaven above. In this respect, therefore, he is really like Moses.

Secondly, if we reverse the process we can show many similarities
between Moses and Jesus where Muhammad at the same time can be
contrasted with them. Some of these are:

1. Moses and Jesus were Israelites - Muhammad was an Ishmaelite. (This
is, as we have seen, a crucial factor in really determining the
identity of the prophet who was to follow Moses).

2. Moses and Jesus both left Egypt to perform God's work - Muhammad
was never in Egypt. Of Moses we read: "By faith he forsook
Egypt" (Hebrews 11.27). Of Jesus we read: "Out of Egypt have I called
my Son" (Matthew 2.15).

3. Moses and Jesus forsook great wealth to share the poverty of their
people which Muhammad did not. Of Moses we read: "He considered abuse
suffered for the Christ greater wealth than all the treasures of
Egypt" and that he chose "to share ill-treatment with the people of
God" (Hebrews 11.25-26). Of Jesus we read: "For you know the grace of
our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he
became poor, so that by his poverty you might become rich" (2
Corinthians 8.9).

So we have similarities between Moses and Jesus where Muhammad can be
contrasted with them. This shows how weak the Muslim method of
comparing Moses with Muhammad (while contrasting them with Jesus) is,
for it works both ways. How then can we truly identify the prophet who
was to be like Moses?

As there were numerous prophets down the ages, it is logical to assume
that this prophet would be uniquely like Moses in a way that none of
the other prophets were. Clearly the prophet to come would emulate him
in the exceptional and unique characteristics of his prophethood.
Indeed we would expect that God would give some indication in the
prophecy of the distinguishing features of this prophet who was to be
like Moses. We only have to refer to the context of the prophecy to
find this striking verse which very clearly gives us an indication of
the nature of the prophet to follow:

"The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from
among you, from your brethren - him you shall heed - just as you
desired of the Lord your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly, when
you said, 'Let me not hear again the voice of the Lord my God or see
this great fire any more, lest I die' ".
Deuteronomy 18.15-16.

The prophet would be raised up just as God had raised Moses up as the
mediator of the covenant which he gave at Horeb. The Israelites
pleaded with Moses to become a mediator between them and God because
they did not wish to hear God's voice face to face, and God said "They
have rightly said all that they have spoken" (Deuteronomy 18.17). God
henceforth raised Moses up as the mediator of the covenant between
himself and Israel. We need also to consider that God spoke to Moses
in a very special way as well and in the Bible we read:

Thus the Lord used to speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks
to his friend.
Exodus 33.11

The Qur'an also teaches that God spoke directly to Moses in a way in
which he did not speak to other prophets (Surah 4.164). Furthermore,
to confirm the great mediatorial work which Moses was to perform, God
did great signs and miracles through him in the presence of all
Israel. Now as God had promised that the prophet to come would be like
him in this mediatorial work, we must conclude that the distinguishing
features of the prophet would be these:

1. He would be the direct mediator of a covenant between God and his
people;

2. He would know God face to face;

3. His office would be confirmed by great signs and wonders which he
would do by the power of God in the sight of all the nation of Israel.

This conclusion is in fact clearly established by these last words in
the Book of Deuteronomy:

And there has not arisen a prophet since in Israel like Moses,
whom the Lord knew face to face, none like him for all the signs and
wonders which the Lord sent him to do in the land of Egypt, to Pharaoh
and to all his servants and to all his land, and for all the mighty
power and all the great and terrible deeds which Moses performed in
the sight of all Israel.
Deuteronomy 34.10-12.

The three distinguishing features of Moses as a prophet are clearly
mentioned: he was the mediator between God and Israel, he knew the
Lord face to face, and he did great signs and wonders. The prophet
like him would obviously have to emulate these unique features of his
prophethood. Did Muhammad possess these exceptional characteristics by
which the prophet was to be recognised?

Firstly, whereas God spoke directly to Moses, so that he was a direct
mediator between God and the people of Israel, the Qur'an is alleged
to have come at all times from the Angel Gabriel to Muhammad and at no
time did God directly communicate it to him face to face, as the
Muslims themselves admit. He also did not mediate a covenant between
God and the people of Israel.

Secondly, Muhammad performed no signs and wonders. Although the Hadith
record some fanciful miracles, these are purely mythical, for the
Qur'an very clearly says of Muhammad that he performed no signs. In
Surah 6.37, when Muhammad's adversaries say "Why has no sign been sent
down to him from his Lord?", Muhammad is bidden to reply merely that
God could send one if he wanted to but had not done so. In the same
Surah we read that Muhammad said, "I have not that for which you are
impatient" (Surah 6.57), meaning signs and wonders such as Moses had.
He goes on to say that if he had had them, the dispute between him and
them would have been decided long ago.

Again in the same Surah Muhammad's adversaries say they will believe
if signs come from God, but he only replies that God has reserved them
because they would still disbelieve anyway (as indeed the Jews did
with Jesus - John 12.37). Furthermore the Qur'an also says that