My theory on why Brahmins don't eat onions/garlic



It's a known fact that onions and garlic are lethal, even in small
quantities, when fed to dogs. I also realize that certain Brahmins in
India do not eat onions/garlic, and my theory is because the Brahmins
observed the effects of onions/garlic on dogs. They then (wrongly)
postulated that onions/garlic is harmful to humans.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"My Details

Human Foods that Poison Pets Disclaimer
Feeding pets food that we enjoy is not only wrong, it can also be
fatal. There are some foodstuffs that humans relish which cause
illness and death if eaten by pets.

Chocolate, macadamia nuts and onions are good examples. Each of these
foods contains chemicals which rarely cause problems for humans, but
for dogs, these same chemicals can be deadly.

* Chocolate toxicity
* Onion and garlic poisoning
* The danger of macadamia nuts
* Other potential dangers
* Related Products


Chocolate toxicity Top
Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant
and a diuretic.

When affected by an overdose of chocolate, a dog can become excited
and hyperactive. Due to the diuretic effect, it may pass large volumes
of urine and it will be unusually thirsty. Vomiting and diarrhoea are
also common. The effect of theobromine on the heart is the most
dangerous effect. Theobromine will either increase the dog's heart
rate or may cause the heart to beat irregularly. Death is quite
possible, especially with exercise.

After their pet has eaten a large quantity of chocolate, many pet
owners assume their pet is unaffected. However, the signs of sickness
may not be seen for several hours, with death following within twenty-
four hours.

Cocoa powder and cooking chocolate are the most toxic forms. A 10-
kilogram dog can be seriously affected if it eats a quarter of a 250gm
packet of cocoa powder or half of a 250gm block of cooking chocolate.
These forms of chocolate contain ten times more theobromine than milk
chocolate. Thus, a chocolate mud cake could be a real health risk for
a small dog. Even licking a substantial part of the chocolate icing
from a cake can make a dog unwell.

Semi-sweet chocolate and dark chocolate are the next most dangerous
forms, with milk chocolate being the least dangerous. A dog needs to
eat more than a 250gm block of milk chocolate to be affected.
Obviously, the smaller the dog, the less it needs to eat.

Onion and garlic poisoning Top
Onions and garlic are other dangerous food ingredients that cause
sickness in dogs, cats and also livestock. Onions and garlic contain
the toxic ingredient thiosulphate. Onions are more of a danger.

Pets affected by onion toxicity will develop haemolytic anaemia, where
the pet's red blood cells burst while circulating in its body.

At first, pets affected by onion poisoning show gastroenteritis with
vomiting and diarrhoea. They will show no interest in food and will be
dull and weak. The red pigment from the burst blood cells appears in
an affected animal's urine and it becomes breathless. The
breathlessness occurs because the red blood cells that carry oxygen
through the body are reduced in number."
.