Re: Treacherous driving - Haleakala vs California coast route 1
- From: "katleman" <dkatleman@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 04:05:02 -0000
I am planning a trip to Haleakala National Park.
I've driven the California coast line.
How is the driving uphill/downhill, winding, no guard rail at
Which one is more treacherous? Haleakala vs California coast route
CA 1 hands down is more treacherous. I've done both, and I can't
remember any fear at all in the drive up and down Haleakala. I still
won't drive south again on CA 1, especially north of San Francisco.
Now, we did drive up Haleakala @ 4am, so we didn't see much but other
head lights, so that may have made the drive a bit less scary, if
you're afraid of heights. But then the drive down wasn't a problem
later on, and it's the same road. I'd rather drive up and down
Haleakala than up and down CA1. Not to say both aren't very scenic and
worth the trips... Neither road is as scary as Beartooth pass in
Wyoming. For us, that's been the gold standard of scary. Every road
since is compared to that.
It is darn cold up there, bring something to bundle up in.
- Prev by Date: Re: making leis
- Next by Date: Poster Child of Act 221
- Previous by thread: Re: Treacherous driving - Haleakala vs California coast route 1
- Next by thread: Re: Treacherous driving - Haleakala vs California coast route 1