German Holiday Candy Man with coin between buttocks?

Hallo!

I recently went to a German speciality food store in the Boston area,
and found a whole section of Christmas candies. There were the usual
Chocolate Santas, Christmas calendars, and other candy art, but this
one candy caught my eye, and I have to find out more about it.

The candy is a small Marzipan man, bending over, with his pants down,
and a large gold coin wedged between his buttocks. It's a very funny
candy, which instantly draws people to it, but when I asked about the
meaning behind this, the non-German staff could only say "It's a good
luck charm".

I want to know if anyone has more detail on the tradition behind this
candy, and the significance of it. Some people have told me that the
man is supposed to be a priest, and others have said that he's supposed
to be a pig. What I want to know is how old this tradition goes back,
and what the meaning behind it is, other than the "good luck charm".
I'd like to know how this got started.

.