Re: Nick Joaquin is full of sh*t (Re: A Heritage of Smallness)
- From: a.manansala@xxxxxxxxx
- Date: 4 Nov 2005 07:49:01 -0800
Double Eight wrote:
> > -------------
> > The reason PI Flips are poor is because hard working people are punished.
> > and lazy corrupt people are rewarded. Corruption, not just in government but
> > also in society, is what keeps us backward.
> There's corruption in all societies. That's not the problem. The
> problem, is in the Philippines, corruption is expected and tolerated
> and the Pinoy fatalistic mentality feeds into this and nothing gets
To be frank, Catholicism and pop-culture Westernization have destroyed
Philippine progress so that soon Vietnam and Cambodia will creep ahead.
And Bangladesh will not be far behind.
One thing you have to say about the Filipino though is they are very
good-natured in general considering the hellish conditions.
Also Filipinos as a group do have a direction. It's hard to observe on
the surface, but if you watch them long enough you can perceive this
movement. It's not some conscious policy but has a deeper sociological
Paul Kekai Manansala
- Prev by Date: Is Paris Burning?
- Next by Date: Re: Foreign Words Spelled in Native Pronunciation (Re: Manila Standard: 75% of elem graduates can't read)
- Previous by thread: Re: Hobbit mentality (Re: Nick Joaquin is full of sh*t)
- Next by thread: Re: Nick Joaquin is full of sh*t (Re: A Heritage of Smallness)