Re: Handog ng Pilipino sa Mundo (Re: Lyrics)

Unfortunately I was not there for EDSA 2 (although my neice was "lucky" to
have been on vacation in Manila at the time and was able to participate).
Acutally I was there a month before, in December, when everyone was trying
to follow the impeachment trial on tv or radio. Everyone was talking about
it, much as they are talking about Gloria's troubles today. I took a bus
from Roxas Blvd to Mega Mall and this was one of those that had a tv set in
it. Despite the fluctuating signal everyone on the bus was glued to it as
it was showing a coverage of the senate trial. Almost ever taxi ride I took
while I was there became an animated discussion with the taxi driver - one
saying "hey all presidents steal anyway - what's wrong if Erap takes a
little for himself?" - another ride I took I had already arrived at my
destination and me and the taxi driver were still talking - this time about
rallies and how they disrupt the flow of life, but how important it was to
participate because we were doing this for the next generation, and what
would we tell our grand kids when they asked "lolo what did you do when Erap
was president?"

My understanding was that EDSA 2 was a different kind of animal - the first
EDSA was really unexpected, but then it was the first of it's kind -
everyone was taken by surprise that Enrile and Ramos defected, and although
organized protests were in full swing (regular Sunday morning runs from
Luneta to Baclaran, Mass, then a rally outside the church; regular Friday
noon confetti rallies/ noise barrages at Ayala cor Paseo de Roxas; the
boycott of the crony companies, etc).

My recollection of how Edsa 2 took place was that emotions had risen to a
boiling point such that when those senators refused to "open the (Jose
Velarde) envelope" people started texting each other to meet up in Edsa and
within a few hours the crowd had become several hundred thousand. What I
found touching about it this time around was that the crowd was made up
mostly of young, what we fondly refer to as Generation-X, people.

The "opposition" had a lot more time to organize. I know one thing for a
fact (because I had a chance to meet with one of the "insiders" a few months
later), that prior to the spontaneous assembly at the EDSA shrine, major
strikes were planned by the labor groups, and trasportation was set to be
shut down both in the northern and southern accesses to Manila. The plan
was to cripple Manila.

Also, from what I'd heard talks between the opposition leaders and the
military were already taking place which is probably why there was no
confrontation between the military/police and the people. Ramos being part
of the opposition from day 1, and this time he was a former Chief of Staff
and a former President may have made it easier to get the military to defect
than the first Edsa. This is quite different from Edsa 1 where nuns knelt
in front of tanks to stop them from running over the crowd, although maybe
not any less dangerous the first day or so when no one knew how the military
would turn. This is mostly "hear-say" on my part, but there are many
sources of info on the web. I wish it were easier to pull up newspaper
reports of the events of those days.

Anyway here's a couple of links I found:

http://members.tripod.com/twist14/edsa2/main.htm

This one is nice because it has a timeline and lots of pictures, plus a
short comparison of Edsa1 and 2. Plus some annoying pop-ups hehe.
---

It seems another striking difference was the "atmosphere". At Edsa1, while
there were moments of comic relief and nervous laughter, and a sort-of
carnival atmosphere with the peanut vendors and people sharing their
sandwiches, I felt there was a serious undertone. Many faces had serious
expressions, many were praying the rosary constantly, everyone there, I
thought, had to be at peace with himself and with his god or he/she would
not be there and ready to die. I'm not sure, but I guess the same thoughts
must have been going through the Edsa2 crowd, but certainly there was much
more "fun and laughter" - more lightness of being. I'm sure there were
moments of fear and uncertainty, but in typical Pinoy fashion, they used
comedy and laughter to disperse the tension.

I was not there so I can only imagine, but here's an excerpt from one who
was there:

http://www.tinig.com/v20/v20mkpp2.html
"
Ang People Power 2, na isang hindi rebolusyonaryong pag-aalsang naganap sa
makasaysayang lansangang ang pangala'y EDSA noong Enero 2001, ay hindi
nakaligtas sa ganitong mga pangyayari. Ang Enero 2001 ay isang kabanata ng
kasaysayan natin kung kailan milyun-milyong Pilipino ang nagtipun-tipon sa
isang dambuhalang lansangan upang patalsikin ang isang tarantado at hangal
na pulitiko mula sa pinakamataas na katungkulan sa bansa, ngunit sa bahaging
ito ng kasaysayan ay hindi nalimot ng mga kalahok ang tumawa at magpatawa-at
ang maging katawa-tawa.

Ang may pinakamalalim na ukit sa aking gunita ay ang Huwebes, Enero 18.

Kalilipas lang ng tanghali nang ako'y dumating sa EDSA noong araw na iyon.

Kakaunti pa lang ang mga tao-ilang oras pa bago muling darami, sapagkat
karamiha'y kundi man kumakain pa ay natulog muna sa kani-kanilang mga bahay
upang bawiin ang lakas na sinipsip ng pagpupuyat. Ngunit sa kabila ng
kauntian ng mga tao'y parang marami pa rin ang mga tao dahil sa ingay na
likha ng mga katatawanan.

"
---
and then there's this girl:

"
http://www.cyberdyaryo.com/commentary/c2001_0206_01.htm
... Tuesday, February 6, 2001
Not too young for Edsa 2
By Melanie P. Ramos

I was not there during EDSA 1. I was too young to understand
what was happening to the nation then. On television, I saw the hordes of
people rallying, their arms linked kapit-bisig to stop tanks from advancing
on an armed populace. But it didn't quite sink in.

.....I didn't know Marcos or Ninoy. I didn't have the capacity
to analyze the political situation. And although I was quite concerned about
the situation, I did not go out to join the people in EDSA in 1986.

.....I never expected I'd be given the chance to participate in
another bloodless overthrow of a president only 15 years after the 1986
People Power Revolt. But this time, I wasn't just a spectator watching the
events on television at home, I was an active participant who actually
witnessed the events as they unfolded.

.....I came to EDSA not out of mere curiosity or blind
ignorance, but out of a firm conviction. I needed to take a stand regarding
how badly the nation's leaders have been running the country.

.....And I wasn't the only one who felt that way. The crowd that
gathered at EDSA was made up mostly of students and other young people. If
in 1986, most of the people who rallied against Marcos belonged to our
parents' generation, this time it was the youth who played the significant
role in toppling the corrupt Estrada regime.

"
Regards aling Sylvia

---------

.