No move to oust Funcinpec president Keo Puth Rasmey
- From: Chim <ChimS1@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 00:39:47 -0800 (PST)
No move to oust Funcinpec president
Written by Vong Sokheng
Monday, 15 December 2008
FUNCINPEC Secretary General Nhek Bun Chhay denied on Sunday reports of
a change in leadership and mass defections in the party, calling them
unfounded rumours spread by former loyalists who had joined the ruling
Cambodian People's Party for personal gain.
"There is no movement to replace the current party president, Keo Puth
Rasmey," he told the Post, saying that only Keo Kosal and his son had
defected to the CPP - and not twenty Funcinpec officials, as reported
by Khmer-language media. A former Funcinpec resistance commander and
long-time critic of Prime Minister Hun Sen, Serey Kosal last week
announced his defection to the ruling party.
"I am not interested in the words of unprofessional politicians who
left the party in order to get a position in the government," said
Nhek Bun Chhay, who is also a deputy prime minister.
But Ok Socheat, an adviser to Funcinpec President Keo Puth Rasmey,
said that a faction in the party had been pushing to oust his boss
"because of the party's poor performance" in the national elections
in July, in which the party experienced dramatic losses.
Serey Kosal refused to comment on the number of Funcinpec officials
who would join him in defecting but critized his former party for
espousing policies that failed to address the concerns of the
- Prev by Date: Golf: Thongchai edges closer to Cambodian Open victory
- Next by Date: Minister Keat Chhon announced that a slowdown in the garment and real estate sectors could drive growth down to 5.0%
- Previous by thread: Golf: Thongchai edges closer to Cambodian Open victory
- Next by thread: Minister Keat Chhon announced that a slowdown in the garment and real estate sectors could drive growth down to 5.0%