Why Siemreap is the 3rd poorest province in Cambodia?
- From: Chim <ChimS1@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 08:14:32 -0800 (PST)
Who is the governor of Siemreap? This is an incredible revelation when
it's the seat of Angkor Wat and the main tourist attraction in
Cambodia. The provincial capital of Siemreap can boast an
international airport and lots of hotels to accommodate influx of
Yet, it's still the 3rd poorest province in Cambodia? Why is it so?
There must be some conflicts in budget allocation between the
provincial government and the central government in Phnom Penh,
possibly due to lack of decentralization at the national level and the
assumption of local authority for decision making processes. Strong
influence of private interests on the central government may have
hamstrung local authorities from making initiatives, thus further
debilitating the province and shifting resources to other parts of the
country and mainly to Phnom Penh.
The best way to spread the wealth is through education and the
improvement of social, physical and digital infrastructure. A local
tax may need to be initiated or current tax burden may need to be
proportionally shared between the local and central governments.
- Prev by Date: Re: Fat finger Sokimex controls revenues from ticket deals at Angkor Wat
- Next by Date: World Bank Predicts Slow Growth for East Asia Next Year
- Previous by thread: Cambodia's real estate agents are considering staff layoffs as land and property sales continue to fall
- Next by thread: World Bank Predicts Slow Growth for East Asia Next Year