PM Hun Sen suggested the summit meet of the Asean may be held in Indonesia
- From: Chim <ChimS1@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 06:19:00 -0800 (PST)
Cambodia suggests Asean summit in Indonesia
Monday 8th December, 2008 (IANS)
Phnom Penh, Dec 8 (Xinhua) Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen Monday
suggested the summit meet of the Association of Southeast Asian
Nations (Asean) may be held in Indonesia as the bloc's current chair
Thailand, in the thick of political turmoil, has expressed inability
to hold the event.
Thailand, which currently holds the Asean's rotating presidency, has
requested postponement of the bloc's summit in mid-December to March
next year because of politcal crisis in the country.
The summit should not be postponed, Hun Sen told reporters here,
adding that 'we have to meet to solve many issues, including the
global financial crisis.'
'If we delay the summit, the Asean will move backward,' he said.
'The Asean should not be the hostage of Thai political crisis', Hun
The summit should be held at the Asean secretariat in Indonesia's
Jakarta and Thailand can still hold the chair of the summit as
Singapore's prime pinister requested, he added.
The Asean is a 10-nation grouping for economic cooperation comprising
Brunei, Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia. Myanmar, the
Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.
- Prev by Date: Cambodia spends nearly US$30 million on chemical sprays every year, many of which are illegal in the countries where they are manufactured
- Next by Date: US President-Elect Obama discusses the problems facing America's auto manufacturers
- Previous by thread: Cambodia spends nearly US$30 million on chemical sprays every year, many of which are illegal in the countries where they are manufactured
- Next by thread: US President-Elect Obama discusses the problems facing America's auto manufacturers