Funcinpec and NRP need to make plan to merge much sooner in order to avoid delaying logistical works for the next election
- From: Chim <ChimS1@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 02:20:26 -0800 (PST)
No party mergers, Funcinpec leader says
Written by Meas Sokchea
Wednesday, 03 December 2008
FUNCINPEC Secretary General Nhek Bun Chhay on Monday denied reports
that his party would join forces with the Norodom Ranariddh Party
He said rumours of a merger may have been spread by individual party
members, but that no Funcinpec leaders have ever discussed it. "I
never said we would merge with the NRP," he told the Post on Monday.
Nhek Bun Chhay refused to speculate on whether the two parties might
merge in the future. "We have no plans to unite with the NRP. It is
not time for that yet," he said.
Chhim Seak Leng, acting president of the NRP, said that he was not
aware of current plans for a party merger, adding that plans exist for
a future union of the two royalist parties and referring questions to
NRP Secretary General Yu Hokry.
Yu Hokry could not be reached for comment, but NRP spokesman Suth Dina
told the Post that officials from both parties have met unofficially
to discuss cooperation in district and provincial elections in 2009.
"We are not yet ready for the parties to merge, but maybe in four or
five years' time and closer to the next national election," he
- Prev by Date: 200-strong government-business delegation an indication of increasing Chinese involvement in the Cambodian economy
- Next by Date: A chat with Cambodian pop singer Meng Keopichda
- Previous by thread: 200-strong government-business delegation an indication of increasing Chinese involvement in the Cambodian economy
- Next by thread: A chat with Cambodian pop singer Meng Keopichda