Re: Catalonia votes to ban bullfighting

On Aug 20, 9:14 pm, The Black Monk <ch....@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Aug 20, 1:23 pm, vello <vellok...@xxxxxx> wrote:

There are not too much people in North Canada :-) Well, we, humans are
sole species on Earth with no danger to dye out (OK, maybe mosquitos
also). I remember one Soviet sci-fi book about communist future where
all "bad" (=carnivore) animals were concentrated on island of
Madagasgar. Well rare humans showing "animal" selfishness were sent to
Madagasgar, too :-). If we don't want to live on dead rocks covered
with waste of plastics, we had to find a way both animal and people
can live on that Planet.- Hide quoted text -

I think that it's great that there are still wild places, they ought
to be preserved, and people assume a risk and have responsiblity for
themselves when they visit such places.  OTOH banning hunting and
introducing wolves or other predators to compensate for the lack of
hunters, in places where wolves no longer live, strikes me as
inherently inhumane.  The prey do not benefit form this - surely it is
better to be silently stalked by a human hunter and swiftly shot than
to be torn apart by a pack of wolves.  The people don't benefit -
those who enjoy hunting are no longer allowe to do so, people's pets
and children are in danger.  So noone benefits.  It is all strictly
about ideology.

Some people think that stabile self-correcting systems keen to have
longer lifespan then those needing daily adjustments. Any good idea
become, when discussed in public, often a bit too straightforward. I
don't think anyone wants to bring wolf packs back on Manhattan or near
Eurodisneyland. But by other hand wolfs as long list of other animals
are in past hunted without any reasonable count so it is good if we
find it possible to reintroduce them where possible.

I am also struck by the hypocrisy of those who oppose foxhunting  - in
which dogs revert to wolflike ways and hunt down foxes - yet support
reintroduction of wolves who basically turn "foxhunting" into the
standard way of population control. Actually, perhaps it isn't
hypocrisy after all - the common thread is dislike of humanity.  In
foxhunting people, too benefit (the thrill of following their dogs, of
seeing their dogs accomplishing something they love, kind of like when
a cat owner feels good for their pet when they catch a mouse) and to
anti-human ideologues this is bad.

My position on that topic is simple: I don't condemn any hunter, but
personally I never found killing may be a fun.

  • Re: Aquatic elephants?
    ... that dogs were water dwelling animals in the recent past. ...     mouth open while panting. ... wolves are great distance runners if we are talking about distances ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Aquatic elephants?
    ... amazing long distance runners, though. ... that dogs were water dwelling animals in the recent past. ... wolves are great distance runners if we are talking about distances ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Aquatic elephants?
    ... that dogs were water dwelling animals in the recent past. ...     mouth open while panting. ... wolves are great distance runners if we are talking about distances ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Aquatic elephants?
    ... amazing long distance runners, though. ... that dogs were water dwelling animals in the recent past. ... wolves are great distance runners if we are talking about distances ...
    (talk.origins)
  • John Lott - Why Does Ashley Judd Want Wolves To Suffer Cruel Deaths?
    ... After all, Judd certainly cares more about animals, right? ... hunting is done to keep animals from dying from starvation and to maintain higher quality populations. ... In addition, starvation would have impacted virtually all the wolves, but only a fraction of the animals risk suffering any trauma from being shot. ... When implemented in a timely manner, predator control can result in shorter-term programs where prey numbers are stabilized and improved more quickly and efficiently. ...
    (talk.politics.guns)