Re: the difference between Latvia and Lithuania

On Jul 29, 8:24 am, "Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr."
<ostap_bender_1...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is like an Indian or a Paki pharmacist refusing to speak English
to foreign customers because India “is no longer part of the British
Empire”.

Well, no. English is special case. I'm not too sure young indonesians
are fluent in Dutch novadays. In Estonia, Russian as foreign language
is competing with Spanish and German about third language of choice
after English and French. But ordinary boys and girls not planning
international career are happy if they can speak at least one foreign
language - and it is for 99,9% english. No xenophobia (young people
don't know too much about soviet time), just matter of things.

  • Re: Educating Language Gifted Students Questions
    ... The English word "sentence" has the same ... Have the student find similar examples that occur in his ... > native language and the languagehe is studying. ... > Type 1 - the transliteration of a foreign word/phrase into common ...
    (uk.culture.language.english)
  • Re: Scottish as a Second Language
    ... Scottish as a Second Language ... It's a common problem for people learning a foreign language. ... English learner. ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • Re: Dexter
    ... and Mexican invasion as these folk will not learn English or assimilate. ... I'm waiting for someone to prove that the 3rd generation of immigrants ... STILL do not speak English. ... language and English second because and people refuse to speak English ...
    (rec.arts.tv)
  • Re: Educating Language Gifted Students Questions
    ... The English word "sentence" has the same ... > native language and the languagehe is studying. ... > Type 1 - the transliteration of a foreign word/phrase into common ... I'm not convinced you are employing "transliteration" correctly. ...
    (uk.culture.language.english)
  • Re: DSL question.
    ... how does DSL interfere with the phone line? ... daytime and early evening who actually speak English as a first ... Americans toward people for whom English is a second language -- well, ...
    (rec.arts.tv)