Re: Russia's pipeline to Empire

In article <1134759173.429450.187660@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"ladzius" <2130-690@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Eugene Holman wrote:

> > > really ? care to give an example ?
> >
> > The second article in particular indicates that elections are genuinely
> > being contested and that political activity is monitored by the
> > authorities, even if one wonders how offensive the ad was that
> > disqualified Rodina. Additionally, groups with similar but not identical
> > interests are uniting to form alternatives to United Russia. These are all
> > positive signs of political evolution and demonstrate how far Russia has
> > come along the road to democracy during the past fourteen years. Remember,
> > it took almost 200 years before American democracy had evolved to such a
> > stage that all adult citizens of good character were allowed to vote.
> >

> even the lasiest soviet propagandists would be ashamed to produce
> something so off the mark. In 2003 Moscow Duma elections "Jabloko" got
> 10,2%, and "SPS" got 7,9%,
> this time they got 11% together.

So? They were different elections. The Republicans won the American
presidential election in 1988, but the Democrats won it in 1992. In the
Soviet Union the CPSU used to receive 99.9% of the votes in every
election.

> Some achievement, that!
> And your counting the fact that "political activity is monitored by the
> authorities" as a sign of
> democracy evolving is beyond the pale.

No it isn't. The situation in Florida in the American elections of 2000
shows what happens when the authorities are not doing their job of
monitoring the election properly.

Russia has virtually no historical experience with democracy, and they are
trying to develop something approximating but suitable to their own
conditions, historical experience, and temperament by trial and error. The
Russia of 2005 is far more successful as a democracy than the Russia of
1995 or the USSR of 1985. We hope that the Russia of 2015 will be even
closer, and that by 2025 they might finally have gotten everything worked
out. The transition from one political system to another takes time, and
it is far more difficult in a large country treading on terra incognita
than it has been in smaller countries such as the Baltic countries that a
democratic tradition to fall back on.

Regards,
Eugene Holman

  • =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Die_L=F6sung_(Exit,_Russian_Democracy)?=
    ... parliamentary elections on Sunday. ... Polls suggest his United Russia ... no free and fair election and Russia is no democracy. ... Washington's ties with Russia -- bungled by President Bush and given ...
    (soc.culture.baltics)
  • Re: the bottom line on the Russian elections
    ... Isn't one of the tasks of democracy, ... Russia, a government that can still deliver the goods despite - or due ... Why did the international monitors declare that the elections were "not ... the government, political parties, leading politicians and party ...
    (soc.culture.baltics)
  • Re: the bottom line on the Russian elections
    ... Isn't one of the tasks of democracy, ... Russia, a government that can still deliver the goods despite - or due ... Why did the international monitors declare that the elections were "not ... the government, political parties, leading politicians and party ...
    (soc.culture.baltics)
  • Re: Gorbachev ambivalent on Russian elections
    ... friends and family but all citizens of Russia to go to the polls and cast ... an effective system of governance, we must reform our election system. ... parliamentary elections, so people may vote both for party lists and for ... only one future - democracy. ...