Re: Need advice.

On Jun 29, 5:48 pm, Carom <mary.con...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
She should only retake it if the colleges she wants to go to have an
average SAT score for their admitted students that is significantly
above hers.  Also, consider having her take the ACT
(www.actstudent.org) rather than the SAT for a third time.  In my
experience, a lot of kids get psyched out by the "SAT" more than the
"ACT" because SAT is what they're always hearing and worrying about.
The vast majority of colleges accept the ACT just as they do the SAT
(you may want to double check with schools on her list just to make
sure they're in that majority).  Also, you may want to consider taking
a look at some of the schools out there that do not required
standardized test scores at all. Here's a list:http://www.fairtest.org/university/optional.

Keep in mind that grade inflation runs rampant even at schools where
they say it doesn't, and that standardized test scores are widely
regarded as a BS measure of one's academic abilities.  Very few of the
ways this process quantifies kids are fair or accurate.  Also, keep in
mind that while no high test scores will get you into a college (think
of how many dozens of 2400 kids are rejected from top schools every
year), having low ones might keep you out.  Therefore the attitude to
have is that you just want to aim to have scores that won't keep you
OUT of the schools in which you're interested. Take a look at the
schools in which she's interested, get a sense for  their averages,
and develop a strategy (perhaps with a tutor) to meet those averages.
And if it just doesn't happen--and it might not--simply explain in her
applications that she's not a tester, make sure she has strong teacher
recommendations, solid heartfelt essays, and help her put her best
foot forward in all the other areas of her application process.

Good luck!