Re: Prince Phillip's medals
- From: Eugene Griessel <eugene@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 21:57:27 +0200
Op Sun, 3 Jun 2012 19:48:33 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Chaplin
Bill <blackusenet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
Was watching the Royal Progress down the Thames on TV today and noticed
that Prince Philip has five WWII campaign stars.
On looking him up he had an interesting war...
He's the bloke who switched on HMS Valiant's searchlights at Matapan,
and was mentioned in despatches for it...
Without looking, I'd guess '39-'45, Atlantic, Africa, Pacific, and France
He was quite a lad - top of his class at Dartmouth IIRC. He was XO of
HMS Whelp - which SA later purchased. A couple of years ago the SAN
presented him with something that came off the Whelp - can't quite
recall what it was, possibly the bell.
Eugene L Griessel
Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.
- Prev by Date: Re: HMS Diamond Fires 21-gun Salute for Diamond Jubilee
- Next by Date: Re: HMS Diamond Fires 21-gun Salute for Diamond Jubilee
- Previous by thread: Re: Prince Phillip's medals
- Next by thread: Re: Prince Phillip's medals