Re: Battlecruiser what -if

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 14:41:18 +0200, Eugene Griessel wrote:

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 12:03:05 +0000 (UTC), bill <blackusenet@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Which makes the Renown - S&G encounter in April 1940 a what?
Battlecruiser vs Battlsehip/Battlecruiser encounter?  Interestingly
S&G escaped from the battlecruiser by using their superior speed.

Odd one that.

Why'd they run with only one turret broken?

Why didn't they close and sink the BC?

I think they were under orders at that stage to avoid a capital ship
engagement. They certainly poured on coal and headed in the general
direction of away as soon as the shells started falling.

It seems to happen a lot with German capital ships in WWII.

We know they could shoot straight and there's nothing fundamentally wrong
with the ships so it has to be the leadership.

Now, assuming that the philosophy expressed in 'The Sound of Music' does
not reflect the mindset of sizeable numbers of senior German naval
officers of the period, what's going wrong?

--
"Hopefully the fair wind will resume, or this may well take all day."

Admiral Collingwood on being becalmed under the guns of six French ships-
of-the-line at Trafalgar

--

.