Re: Guns three

<kenney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:btydncAYpqTedALTnZ2dnUVZ8i-dnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In article <j7hgdi$8d8$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, raymond-ohara@xxxxxxxxxxx (Ray
O'Hara) wrote:

Rodman cast his guns, and then cooled them from the inside out.
as a result his guns are always creating pressure in and firing the
guns actually releaves the pressure on the barrel.

They were a magnificent example of casting but an evolutionary dead end
when it came to gun development. IIRC the ratio of projectile weight to
gun weight was inferior to European guns of the same period. However
generally speaking in this period the US was technically behind Europe
in general when it came to naval construction. In fact this was probably
the case as late as 1918. The Lexington class got turbo-electric
machinery because the gear cutting ability required for geared turbines
of that power did not exist.

The Rodmans were 1860s guns and state of the art for their time.
as they were land based weight wasn't an issue.
being smoothbore was not ideal for the future but the guns were safe and
reliable.

  • Re: Air canon, sanity check on my calculations
    ... BB guns have nowhere the muzzel velocity or accuracy of pellet guns. ... I did and you get info about the pressure in the resevoir but not ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: Has anyone else played around with low preassure for their Spyder?
    ... > FPS. ... I'm not arguing that it can't be done. ... I've made many parts for my guns from ... My question is why would you want to lower the pressure in a two ...
    (rec.sport.paintball)
  • Re: Guns three
    ... guns actually releaves the pressure on the barrel. ... gun weight was inferior to European guns of the same period. ... Oh God, I'm asking Ray, of course he's going to say the Rodman is going to be superior. ...
    (sci.military.naval)
  • Re: Guns three
    ... guns actually releaves the pressure on the barrel. ... weight to gun weight was inferior to European guns of the same ... How do they compare with Armstrong's breech loaders? ...
    (sci.military.naval)
  • Re: Gun for compressed air
    ... I was looking for a gun to attach to it, but all either said they were limited to 30 or 90 PSI, or else they didn't specify. ... Are the guns with no limit mentioned good up to some understood PSI? ... Most compressors pump the tank up to a certain amount and also have an adjustable pressure limiter on the outlet which you adjust for the tool you use. ...
    (alt.home.repair)