Re: A Naval Related Book

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 09:25:36 -0400, "Ray O'Hara"
<raymond-ohara@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"La N." <nilita2004NOSPAM@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
And, so having just recently moved to the beautiful cityof Vancouver BC, I
tonight took a tour of the huge library and borrowed a newly released book
called "First to Die: The First Canadian Navy Casualties in the First
World
War" by Bryan Elson.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Die-Canadian-Casualties-World/dp/0887809138/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310616145&sr=1-1

Product Description

"This is a story drawn from the early days of the Canadian Navy, an
account
of four young Canadian seamen who were the Navy's first casualties at the
beginning of the First World War. Ironically, many consider them victims
of
incompetent seamanship by a British naval officer. The four were among the
21 young men who made up the first class of the Royal Navy College of
Canada, set up in 1911 shortly after the Canadian Navy itself was
established in 1910. All four sailors were from Canada's Maritime
provinces.
After their training at the College, they were posted to the British Navy
for further experience at sea. William Palmer, first in his graduating
class, and Arthur Silver, senior Cadet Captain, both from Halifax, were
personally chosen by Rear-Admiral Christopher Cradock to go to war on the
large and powerful British vessel Good Hope. Their comrades John Hatheway
of
Fredericton, and Malcolm Cann of Yarmouth, were also selected, to the
disappointment of the remaining men. Within six weeks, these our
much-envied
comrades were dead as the Good Hope went down with no survivors, sunk by
the
German navy. First to Die depicts the early history of Canada's navy and
the
reality of war at sea, experienced through the eyes of the four young
midshipmen eager for adventure. The book is extensively illustrated with
photographs drawn from key archival and private collections. (20110216) "

It's newly released, so I'm guessing nobody here has read it?

- nilita

it sounds interesting.
Craddock gets a bum rap. he had to fight and his ships were seriously
outclassed.

Position I would have been in if the enemy had showed up at the USAF
base where I did guard duty.Seriously outnumbered I would have been. I
would have been, in all lilkelyhood killed in the first five minutes
of any attack. The perimeter is like that.. I had only 60 rounds, in
any case.

Casady

  • Re: A Naval Related Book
    ... The First Canadian Navy Casualties in the First ... War" by Bryan Elson. ... large and powerful British vessel Good Hope. ...
    (sci.military.naval)
  • Re: A Naval Related Book
    ... The First Canadian Navy Casualties in the First ... War" by Bryan Elson. ...
    (sci.military.naval)
  • A Naval Related Book
    ... tonight took a tour of the huge library and borrowed a newly released book ... The First Canadian Navy Casualties in the First World ... War" by Bryan Elson. ...