Re: Second strong earthquake shakes Christchurch

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 00:37:29 +0200, Eugene Griessel
<eugene@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I also wondered about the wording of the press reports. Magnitude 5
hardly registers as a quake, let alone a strong one. More like a
tremor.

I was taking Geology 101 when I bought the
CalculatorThatTakesNoPrisoners[HP48] for this and a few other things
like radioactive decay and stellar magnitudes. The Richter Scale is
based on base ten logs so you don't need a calculator, not in this
simple whole number case. Seven is one hundred times as potent as
five.

  • Re: Evesham TV Problem
    ... At least I am not alone. ... Yes I wish I had waited and bought a branded TV ... from Richer Sounds or the like. ... The staff were obviously being told to fob off as ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Viewsonic video capture
    ... Glad to know i'm not alone with this problem. ... I just bought a m2000 ... and experienced this lack of video capture issue due to ports not ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Schooltrip
    ... geology of the area. ... He's never had a camera of his own, so I bought him one ... I was let loose in a Rigid Raider high speed boat there loaded with roughy ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: Found 3 SM Black... on route
    ... any collector who bought one, but I've heard of three on location. ... LTG:) ...  The other has 1 SM Black and 1 FGY. ... let alone 3 of them less than 10 minutes from my ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: Schooltrip
    ... "Pete C" wrote ... geology of the area. ... He's never had a camera of his own, so I bought him ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)