Re: 50% of Americans polled falsely believe in Iraq WMDs

Grey Satterfield <gsatterfield@xxxxxxx> wrote:

:On 8/11/06 9:31 AM, in article xaadnZMGp9N9CUHZnZ2dnUVZ_rGdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx,
:"Vince" <firelaw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:> Fred J. McCall wrote:
:>> "Vaughn Simon" <vaughnsimonHATESSPAM@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:>>:
:>> :"Fred J. McCall" <fmccall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
:>> :news:e7und25ipolf2528pjc9rt6l8qhoaci1up@xxxxxxxxxx
:>> :but you seem to be behind the curve.
:>>
:>> Not at all. The actual problem is that you insist on making stupidly
:>> incorrect assumptions about what someone making the statement that we
:>> have found WMD in Iraq means.
:>>
:> WMD is a political term that means whatever the person using it wants
:> it to mean
:>
:> "Today, the term WMD (Weapons of Mass Destruction) means different
:> things to different people. The most widely used definition is that of
:> nuclear, biological or chemical weapons (NBC).
:> http://www.state.gov/www/global/arms/treaties/mtcr_anx.html]), although
:> there is no treaty or customary international law that contains an
:> authoritative definition. Instead, international law has been used with
:> respect to the specific categories of weapons within WMD, and not to WMD
:> as a whole."
:>
:> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_of_mass_destruction#Historic_use_of_the_t
:> erm_WMD
:
:Vince makes a good point. Arguing flatly that WMD were or were not found in
:Iraq turns more on one's politics that on factual analysis.

This is typical of Vinnie, though. Words have no meanings.

By some of those definitions, Barney Fife had a 'WMD' because he had
that single round for his pistol in his pocket.

Put me in the 'words have meanings' camp.

--
"It's always different. It's always complex. But at some point,
somebody has to draw the line. And that somebody is always me....