replacing drop amplifier

Something happened at my home when I was away and upon my return I found
1) a dead answering machine (although I don't have digital phone through Cox
which is what I use for non-digital cable TV and highspeed cable internet)
2) a dead internet cable modem
3) poor tv reception
but all the clocks showed the correct time.New cable modem and answering
machine obviously solved those problems.I've begun a slow walk through my
cable system using a small portable TV to check signal and seem to have
found a major dropoff at a device that was installed when I added the cable
internet service a few years ago.The front of it says that it is a
Scientific Atlanta multi-media Drop amplifier 5-40/51-1000mHz similar to
this one
http://www.scientificatlanta.com/consumers_new/Accessories/surgegap.htm
but on the bottom side it has only one port on the left side which is
labeled
" In nWR + Out RF
+15dB"
and on the top end there are 2 ports labelled "12-16 V"on the L and "Input
RF" on the R
The internet cable signal takes half of the first split before the SA drop
mentioned and is very clear.
I was planning to soon subscribe to the high def/digital TV service (I am
buying a HD TV).I need input on this situation.
A) should I replace this drop with something else?
B) go ahead and replace the many original 1 in/2 out splitters (labeled
"5-1000mHz Signal vision 2 way splitter SV-2G") with 5-2 Ghz splitters by
Monster which I was advised will be best for the future signal?
C)Rewire the cable setups (a difficult task in this rambling old place)and
create a 1/4 split further up the path rather than the 1/2 followed by 1/2
splits which I KNOW is not the most efficient but that is the way different
rooms came into the TV age thereby insuring a stronger signal for the chosen
path to the den with the HD TV-the other rooms are at present less
important.
D) Add more drops or something else insuring ALL the end points (5 total
plus cable internet) are strong

--
Thanks in advance for your help
Hank