Re: Continental F162 engine compatibility with SA-200 welder

Don,

Thanks for your reply.

<<The head mounted distributor was common on the Continental F series
engines
but I do not know about its use on the SA200.>>

Until the machine shop guy educated me this afternoon I thought that it
was precisely the existence of a distributor that defined an engine as
an F163. I.e., if it had a distributor it was an F163. If not, it was
an F162. But apparently, it ain't so.

<<If the original engine was magneto equipped it was probably driven
from the timing case. You should be able to use the original timing
case and magneto with the other engine.>>

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I presume that "it" refers to the
magneto? But I'm not sure what the "timing case" is.

I have two shorthood welders. I aspire to getting 'em both going again
and to have a third engine "waiting in the wings". Alternatively, this
third engine may re-power an Allis Chalmers forklift that currently has
a dead F163 engine. However, it's beginning to sink in that these
engines were made in a large number of configurations. Therefore, I'm
worried I'll incur the expense of rebuilding the engine now at the
machine shop, only to learn that it's not useable in either welder or
the forklift, either.

Life is so contemplated. The only easy choice is "Coke or Pepsi?".

Vernon

Don Young wrote: