Maya Field Workshop with David Stuart; Copan

Listeros,

This is a unique opportunity,

Mike Ruggeri

Maya Field Workshops
Copan Honduras June 3-9; 2012

"The Art and History of Copan"

Maya Field Workshops are intensive, on-site seminars devoted to
introducing you to the world of Maya archaeology and epigraphy, led by
renowned archaeologist David Stuart of the University of Texas at
Austin. They focus not on tours and traveling, but on a concentrated
experience of a single place over the course of one week.

Over six days you will become immersed in the history and culture of
an ancient Maya city, penetrating the lives of its kings, queens and
courtiers over the course of several centuries. A key part of your
experience will be the opportunity to learn about an ancient Maya
court and its community in its original, genuine setting. We will
visit the temples and read and decode their tablets, using the latest
advances in interpreting Maya art and hieroglyphic writing. We will
combine this on-site experience with daily lectures and workshops, so
participants can work directly and actively with the material.

This is not a week-long traveling tour. Rather, it is an intensive
intellectual and cultural experience rooted in one place, allowing you
a unique and direct hands-on experience with ancient Maya
civilization.

The leader of our workshops is David Stuart, who has been a key player
in the decipherment of Maya script since a young age. He is the co-
author (with his father, George Stuart) of the recently published and
critically-acclaimed book Palenque: Eternal City of the Maya.

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES

Saturday, June 2 (Travel date for most)

Arrivals at Guatemala City airport

Transportation to Copan Ruinas

8:00 PM: Welcome dinner (optional)

Sunday, June 3

7:00 AM: Welcome breakfast

8:00 AM: Pick-up study materials

8:30 AM: Unstructured visit to Copan ruins

12:00 PM: Lunch

2:00 PM: Lecture: Introduction to the Ancient Maya and Maya
Archaeology

6:00 PM: Drinks and Discussion

7:00 PM: Dinner

Monday, June 4

7:00 AM: Breakfast

8:00 AM: Ruins – The Copan Acropolis

12:00 PM: Lunch

2:00 PM: Seminar and Workshop: Introduction to Maya Iconography

7:00 PM: Dinner

Tuesday, June 5

7:00 AM: Breakfast

8:00 AM: Ruins – The Great Plaza and Hieroglyphic Stairway

12:00 PM: Lunch

2:00: Town Museum and Seminar: Introduction to Maya Hieroglyphs

6:00 PM: Dinner at Hacienda San Lucas

Wednesday, June 6

7:00 AM: Breakfast

8:00 AM: Tour of the Copan Sculpture Museum

12:00 PM: Lunch

2:00 PM: Hieroglyph Workshop

6:00 PM: Drinks and Discussion

Thursday, June 7

7:00 AM: Breakfast

8:00 AM: Ruins – La Sepulturas and Stela 13

12:00 PM: Lunch

2:00 PM: Seminar: The Hieroglyphic Stairway

7:00 PM: Dinner

Friday, June 8

7:00 AM: Breakfast

8:00 AM: Study session at ruins

12:00 PM: Lunch

2:00 PM: Seminar: The Quirigua War

6:00 PM: Dinner

Saturday, June 9

7:00 AM: Breakfast

8:00 AM: Final site visit and workshop

7:00 PM (?): Dinner and evening send-off at Hacienda San Lucas

Sunday, June 10

Departures for Guatemala City airport

To ensure a high-quality experience for all, participation in the Maya
Field Workshop is limited, so please contact us as soon as you decide
to join us, atmayafieldworkshops@xxxxxxxxxx

Registration form here;
http://mayafieldworkshops.com/copan-2012/

  • Study at Copan with David Stuart
    ... I am posting this early since this weeklong workshop led by Maya ... archaeologist David Stuart fills up early. ... Maya Field Workshops introduce you to the world of Maya archaeology ... In Fall 2009 we will be based in Copan, ...
    (sci.archaeology)
  • Study at Copan with David Stuart
    ... I am posting this early since this weeklong workshop led by Maya ... archaeologist David Stuart fills up early. ... Maya Field Workshops introduce you to the world of Maya archaeology ... In Fall 2009 we will be based in Copan, ...
    (sci.archaeology.mesoamerican)
  • Maya Field Workshop with David Stuart; Copan
    ... "The Art and History of Copan" ... Maya Field Workshops are intensive, ... 7:00 AM: Breakfast ...
    (sci.archaeology.mesoamerican)
  • Maya Field Workshop with David Stuart; Copan
    ... "The Art and History of Copan" ... Maya Field Workshops are intensive, ... 7:00 AM: Breakfast ...
    (sci.archaeology.moderated)