Re: does all wood darken?

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 08:48:52 -0700 (PDT), dustyone
<curtblood@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello all,

Question:

Does all wood darken with age? Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. Do other woods behave in the same way? One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

Curt Blood
Hartford, CT

Pine, oak, maple, redwood, walnut darken with age. I am surprised how
much my pine furniture has darkened with age. Not sure if ALL wood
darkens with sun exposure, but I'd like to know which one(s) do not.
There have been many times I avoided cherry due to its darkening
characteristics. What is aggravating is putting a vase, cloth, lamp
on a table for some months, then you can see the lighter shadow on the
wood.

  • Re: does all wood darken?
    ... it by a southern exposed window, I'd like to see how light it gets. ... I don't think it will lighten quite as quickly as the cherry darkens in ... Here is a link to a Japanese book (?Wood and Cellulosic Chemistry? ... Cherry on OTOH will darken quickly. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: does all wood darken?
    ... Pine, oak, maple, redwood, walnut darken with age. ...  Not sure if ALL wood ... darkens with sun exposure, but I'd like to know which onedo not. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: How does one announce he has several hundred board feet of 2X Cherry wood to sell?
    ... "Brazilian Cherry". ... It looks somewhat like cherry and darkens with age, ... but it's more than twice as hard as hard maple. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: matching natural cherry cabinets
    ... I think it really darkens it quick. ... the sun will darken it in a matter of hours depending on ... cherry cabinets. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: Cherry Cabinets
    ... Any wood will darken a bit, but cherry can darken quite a lot. ... Not all wood darkens. ... Walnut lightens with sunlight. ...
    (alt.home.repair)