Re: Forstner bits

"John Martin" wrote

So.. my answer is "No, they ain't ment to be used in a drill."

(For reference, I was using a Rockler steel - not carbon - forstner bit.)

Jason Buckler

They're not meant to be used in a hand-held drill only because there
is no central point to locate the bit. If you don't hold them
perfectly straight - and sometimes even if you do - they can skate all
over the workpiece.

Then your not talking about a "Forstner" bit ... proper Forstner bits indeed
have a point, which is called the "gimlet point", as named by the man who
invented the bit.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

  • Re: Forstner bits
    ... I was using a Rockler steel - not carbon - forstner bit.) ... They're not meant to be used in a hand-held drill only because there ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: Titanium Forstner drill bits doesnt drill
    ... > I purchased a new set of Costco Mastergrip Titanium Forstner bits sizes form ... > put it in my hand drill and proceeded to drill. ... > then rim out with the Forstner. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: 9mm Forstner bit in UK?
    ... I wondered if you'd considered a 9mm spade bit for your ... Axminster led to a 3/8ths size bit, for the forstner bit. ... A 9mm brad point drill ... Mainly becasue if I'd done that with the only 9mm brad point I had to hand I ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: Forstner bits
    ... I found myself having to make a 1.5" to 2" adapter ring tonight, and used a forstner bit and hole saw to do it, in a scrap piece of full 3/4" birch ply. ... Since I had the forstner bit out and I remembered your post, I chucked it up in my dewalt drill afterwards. ... at a piece of pine. ...