Forstner bits

I wanted to counterbore several 3/4" holes about an eighth of an inch
deep in 3/4" plywood. I bought a set of Forstner bits at Lowe's,
chucked the 3/4" one in a corded 1/2" drill, and made a practice swipe
at a piece of pine. It was incredibly hard going. I really had to lean
on it. I did manage to get down to about an eighth of an inch, both in
the pine and eventually in the plywood, but I don't know what it would
have taken to drill all the way through. I tried several diameters and
they were all the same.

Did I get a crappy set of bits, or are they not meant to be used in a
hand drill? I don't have a drill press to make a comparison.

  • Re: Forstner bits
    ... deep in 3/4" plywood. ... at a piece of pine. ... It was incredibly hard going. ... have taken to drill all the way through. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: Forstner bits
    ... deep in 3/4" plywood. ... at a piece of pine. ... It was incredibly hard going. ... have taken to drill all the way through. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: How Does a Pin Vise/Drill Work ??
    ... into the 1/4 inch hex bit socket of the power screwdriver. ... a low revolution high torque precision drill. ... Also, referring to other posts, not all pin vises have "handles" at the end. ... The one jaw hold the smallest bits available. ...
    (rec.models.scale)
  • Re: How Does a Pin Vise/Drill Work ?? - Found site
    ... into the 1/4 inch hex bit socket of the power screwdriver. ... a low revolution high torque precision drill. ... Also, referring to other posts, not all pin vises have "handles" at the end. ... The one jaw hold the smallest bits available. ...
    (rec.models.scale)
  • Re: grinding drills
    ... A long time ago I bought two bench grinders from Grainger. ... inch belt driven grinders. ... abrasive cut off wheel. ... I have had a General drill sharpener fixture for ages and decided to ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)