Re: Flash vs Hard-drive-based Minicam

"Gene E. Bloch" <spamfree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:mn.4bd67d868c10a701.1980@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You and iws might be interested in this site:

http://www.neostore.com/detail.asp?ProductID=1191

They show a 16 GB SSHD (Solid State Hard Drive) for $US409, and if you follow the links, you can see 32 and 64 GB for $669 and $1169. Much more expensive than a 16 GB SDHC card. I don't know why they cost so much, however, or what the perfomance and dependability factors are.

I have seen a higher price quoted for the 64 GB drive in an article in the July MacLife (or maybe it was in a PC-related magazine).

Interesting -- you'd still need a computer for capture, though it could make an interesting portable rig for an HV20/30 if there were some way to use an Intensity card with a laptop. I would have loved something like this for when I used to do a multi-camera shoot of a friend's annual 4th of July show. I'd usually shoot ISO to the camera's (analog) tape, but also digitize and capture live-switched video to my laptop. It never worked reliably and I always had to spend hours and hours capturing and then syncing the in-camera video.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) letters617blochg3251

  • Re: Is the Ricoh R5C822 documentation available?
    ... doesn't seem supported by the kernel. ... My laptop has the same device and I've successfully installed Debian to it... ... The sdhci part of the R5C822 works as expected (at least with a SDHC card which is the only media I've tested it with), it's the integrated *smart card* reader which seems unsupported and which I'm trying to find specs for... ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Strange SD Card Issue
    ... I am having a strange issue where when I plug in an SD or an SDHC card ... into my laptop it gets recognized in /var/log/messages, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Vista will read 8GB SDHC, but not 4GB MicroSDHC
    ... my laptop works perfectly fine with my 8GB ... It does not work with my micro 4GB SDHC card. ... Do you have another sdhc card to try in the adapter - it's possible ...