Re: Vhs Cassette Repair

"talktome" <Hk15900@xxxxxxxxx> wrote

Can anyone tell me how to change the videotape housing from a broken
one to a new vhs housing? Also the tape has come a loose from one
spool, how can I respool the vhs tape. I tried looking on the internet
but could find anything on the subject.

It's best to experiment with a couple of gash cassettes before you try with
the one that really matters. It's a bit fiddly, but not too awkward.

With the cassette face down remove the five screws from the bottom of the
cassette, and carefully remove the bottom. Note the path taken by the tape.

If you have to fix the tape back to the hub, then on the spool from which
the tape has come loose you should be able to see a small "plug" in the hub
that is different from the rest of the hub. Using a thin flat bladed
screwdriver ease this bit "up" so that it comes out and releases the tape.

To reattach the tape stretch the end of the clear section across the gap
from which the "plug" came and then press the plug into place. Note you do
not slide it back in the way it came out, you push it in from "above". If
there is no clear section you can put the normal recording tape at this
point, but you then have to be *VERY* careful, as with no clear section you
get no auto-stop (see later).

Put the tape from the damaged housing into a good housing, being careful to
follow the correct path noted earlier.

Put back the bottom and fasten it using the five screws.

If you did not have a clear section do *NOT* wind or rewind the tape in a
recorder, as the auto-stop will not work, so it will probably tear the tape
from the hub. The best thing is to copy it and throw away the original. If
you do have to wind or rewind the tape do so manually. In the bottom of the
cassette push a thin pen or screwdriver in the hole *OPPOSITE* (*NOT* next
to!) the middle screw. This will release the latch that locks the tape and
you can then wind the tape by hand, tedious though it might be!

Good luck.

John Howells

  • Re: Tiagra shifter problem!
    ... (do other bars route under tape?), the total curvature of the cable ... housing for aerostyle brake levers is less than that for the non-aero ... it really does drag a lot more than normally routed non-aero routing. ... because they're under the tape. ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: Who did I buy a Two Tigers 8-track from a while back?
    ... recorder I've never had any trouble with would EAT the effin' tape?! ... uses foam to push the tape against the heads then I would check the foam for gummyness! ... You can save most 8-track tapes but you need to find a junk 8-T cartridge that uses felt on springs for the head tension instead of foam, and then crack the cases open and transfer the tape from the foam housing to the spring housing. ... Call 872-5757 or Fax 872-2010 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games) ...
    (rec.games.video.arcade.collecting)
  • Re: Broken Cassette Tape
    ... On one of the cassettes, the tape broke loose from the hub. ... cassette is glued shut and can't be opened without breaking the housing. ... C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis." ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: turbo tape
    ... SR> they are not marked with any clues of what type of turbo tape they ... there is a felt pad that "presses" the tape ... transfer the tape's to a new housing, ...
    (comp.sys.cbm)