Re: Burn from VOB files?

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 14:29:02 +0100, in 'rec.video.desktop',
in article <Re: Burn from VOB files?>,
Terry Pinnell <terrypin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Some questions fizzing around in my mind right now are these:

1. Is it normal that in some circumstances a DVD could not be opened
by Windows or various DVD player programs yet *could* be opened by
IsoBuster, as happened in this case?

In my experience, yes, and it's one of the reasons why I have
IsoBuster. I also use it to confirm the surface condition and file
readability of discs that I burn, especially those that are being
delivered to clients.

2. Can I conclude that the originator of the source DVD has a 4:3 TV,
not widescreen?

That I don't know.

3. Why would TDA accept VOB1 yet give an error with VOB2?

Again, not sure.

4. Do all DVDs really have these three different 'file structures'
(ISO, UDF and IFO) that I read about in those pages Frank and Brian
pointed me at?

Well, .iso files aren't called ISO files for nothing, you know. :)

As in an ISO 9660 file system.

Or the UDF 1.02 file system used on a DVD-Video disc.

Think of these file systems as being different ways to access the data
on the disc.

Here's a reference for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDF_Format

Read the section entitled "Media".

5. I actually extracted all three sets, into respective folders:
Countdown IFO structure
Countdown ISO structure
Countdown UDF structure

But I used only the ISO VOBs for my imports into VideoRedo. That was
an arbitrary choice. Is there some rationale for choosing any one in
particular?

ISO was just fine.

Glad to hear that you got your problem sorted out to your
satisfaction.

--
Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
[Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]

  • Re: Burn from VOB files?
    ... in article <Re: Burn from VOB files?>, ... Is it normal that in some circumstances a DVD could not be opened ... Extracts\Countdown ISO structure\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB ... Format: MPEG Video ...
    (rec.video.desktop)
  • Re: Burn from VOB files?
    ... in article <Re: Burn from VOB files?>, ... Is it normal that in some circumstances a DVD could not be opened ... Well, .iso files aren't called ISO files for nothing, you know. ... Countdown IFO structure ...
    (rec.video.desktop)
  • Re: Data DVD ISO dump results in 8.3 file names - SOLUTION
    ... Mounting the ISO image as a UDFS file system retains the ... I tried this yesterday, too, since the DVD mounts up properly under ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Manipulable Isos?
    ... The problem with most ISO-editing utilities is that they do ... not take into account empty space within a file system. ... system entirely - CDFS or UFS - and do not depend on a fixed partition size. ... ISO is an exact copy of a FAT/NTFS partition, and both of these file systems ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: DVD writing corruption (DMA problem? 2GB limit problem?)
    ... >> When I burn an iso to a dvd, the burn goes smoothly without error ... >> messages, however, the dvd created is corrupted. ... > not the size of the overall file system. ... the .iso file can be ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)