Re: How do I deal with dropped frames?

"Richard Crowley" <richard.7.crowley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:ecn6vv$7va$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
padilla.henry wrote ...
When I come back to it the info at the top of the capture window is
gone (it just says "stopped") and there is a message box saying "Frames
were dropped." That's it.

I'll have to look more closely at mine next time I capture
something.

If you are having a problem with dropped frames, it might
be worth sticking around and watching to see when it happens.
You aren't running an internet connection or wireless networking,
or virus scanning or one of those disruptive things, are you?

No, not because the drive is SATA but is there a setting for SATA
drives that takes more overhead than some other setting.

Dunno why SATA drives would require any more overhead
than PATA, etc. The serialization is done in very high-speed
hardware (custom chips).

For example does it matter if I have the drive set for RAID
when I only have one drive anyway?

RAID on one drive doesn't make any sense at all. Dunno
how you can even tell it to do "RAID" with only one drive?

I know RAID0 slows down response but does it slow it
down more than making a "software" JBOD in Windows
Drive Manager?

IMHO, RAID is more trouble than it is worth for "normal"
(DV, MPEG,. etc.) digital video. Whatever advantages
(if any) are greatly outweighed by the disadvantages. For
uncompressed and/or high-definition video, you may need
RAID, but I don't think that is what you are doing.

And what the heck is PCI Busmastering? I'll look that up
on Google.

Whatever it means in your context, try capturing in both
cases (turned on and turned off) and see which results in
fewer dropped frames. Simple as that.

Well, I'll try uncompressing my drive and see what happens tonight. On
a 300Gig drive, that's gonna take forever.

Spend $50 and get yourself a brand new 80-100GB drive
and get on with your life (or at least your editing job :-)

I rather like smaller, cheaper drives. I can just leave the whole
job on them and stack them on the shelf.

One of my computers, which uses an AMD chip, has an on-board interface that
can, but does not have to, run two SATA drives in a Raid configuration.
Even when running the drives as two separate drives computer management
seems to refer to these as Raid drives. They are even listed as SCSI
devices somewhere in the sysinfo stuff. Don't know why. My experience has
been that the SATA drives have a little faster through-put than PATA drives.
I like the thinner cables for the improved cooling in the box.

Steve King

  • Re: Problems setting up SATA drives and getting Windows XP to load on them.
    ... the cost of an extra disc for each disc. ... RAID is no replacement for backups. ... Disc drives do die, and just 'cos you have RAID ... Setting up SATA Drives on an ASUS Motherboard. ...
  • Re: raid controller
    ... In his article he states four major reasons to discourage RAID; ... Without RAID you could do a traditional backup at 8:00 AM and at 8:30 AM ... But It's asking for 'RAID Controller' ... hard drives with drive/s C on both drives. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • upgrade software to hardware Raid (mirrored)
    ... i set up a server 2003 a few years ago, with 2 SATA drives configured ... in RAID 1 using windows software raid. ... upgrading to new hard drives at the same time. ...
  • Re: Disk partitioning question
    ... A hardware RAID Volume may exist without any RAID Drives on it. ... > This single array will show up as Disk 0 in Windows Disk Manager. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Need help installing OS6 on Dell PowerEdge 2600 with PERC4/Di RAID
    ... > like a fresh install and porting their application and data to the new system. ... PERC4/Di RAID on the motherboard, Dell DLT tape drive, Dell slimline ... PATA connector usable for two PATA drives. ... After downloading drivers from both SCO and Dell to create the ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)