Re: Travelling in Scotland and England

On Wed, 7 May 2008 16:21:50 +0100, d4g4h4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Horne, _the_
chancellor wrote:

Tim C. <timchallenger@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 7 May 2008 16:09:14 +0100, d4g4h4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Horne, _the_
chancellor wrote:

You have scant knowledge of UK railways.

i have always been rather interested in railways, more when I was younger.
I probably know a lot more about them than you know about driving and
visiting rural areas.

I very much doubt it. Being interested in the trains per se is not the
same as knowing what it is like to travel on them. ...

It is one facet of "knowledge of the railways" though. Travelling on them
isn't the only thing.

Tim, you're obviously not keeping up- travelling on the railways is the
whole _point_ here. Not knowing how they are built etc.

I was commenting only on the bit I quoted. That's how I understood Mikes
comment.

However, knowing how and where and why they're built can give you a pretty
good idea of the views to be had (or not) from the windows. I'm not saying
that there are no good views to be had from trains - quite the opposite in
fact, but do you disagree that the views you're likely to get from a twisty
country lane are likely to be better? Bearing in mind that trains and
motorways often run through less than attractive parts of towns.

--
Tim C.

  • =?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_BBC:_UK=92s_railways_=91a_gigantic_scam=92?=
    ... Soon the railways will be so expensive, ... Could you hire a car for that? ... Am I travelling at off-peak times? ... the way, not everyone, surprise surprise, has a Senior Railcard yet. ...
    (uk.railway)
  • Re: Chiltern Railways.
    ... In most cases the journey which I would previously have made by rail I ... of farebox revenue plus taxation. ... they do not consider to be worthwhile, e.g. the railways. ... Travelling in the Edinburgh Area was straightforward and inexpensive. ...
    (uk.railway)
  • Re: Travelling in Scotland and England
    ... Not knowing how they are built etc. ... find yourself on minor roads are only rarely served by railways or have ... Taunton, bus to Minehead and thence to Porlock Weir, walk the ... Keith (formerly of Bristol UK) ...
    (rec.travel.europe)
  • Re: Some Hatto questions
    ... Aspinall, also about railways and music: ... "Valence, as I'm sure you're very well aware, is the traditional ... I have fond memories of travelling on the old PLM -- Poules de Luxe ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)
  • Re: Commuters urged to report cheats
    ... >>>About 2% of people travelling on the railways do so without a ticket ... Prev by Date: ...
    (uk.railway)