U.S. customs duties on alcohol

U.S. citizens returning from other countries have a duty-free allowance
of 1 liter of wine or spirits. I'd like to bring back more than this on
an upcoming trip to France (not a lot, maybe 3 liters or so total).

I looked at the documentation on the U.S. Customs web site but it was so
full of bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo that I couldn't figure it out. Does
anyone here have personal experience they can relate? If it's a big
expense or hassle to bring in a couple extra bottles I'll just forget
about it. Thanks for your advice.

--
Boycott MCI for knowingly hosting spammers:
http://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/networks.lasso

  • Re: U.S. customs duties on alcohol
    ... > U.S. citizens returning from other countries have a duty-free allowance ... > of 1 liter of wine or spirits. ... the duty-free store at the airport will not sell you ... good wine is pretty cheap in France, ...
    (rec.travel.europe)
  • Re: U.S. customs duties on alcohol
    ... So what if you bring back more than one liter and have to pay 10% to Uncle Sammy? ... Find out if you can return with ANY wine at all. ... about 150 bottles of wine and 10 of distilled spirits returned in our household move from Germany to California. ...
    (rec.travel.europe)
  • Re: U.S. customs duties on alcohol
    ... > of 1 liter of wine or spirits. ... Where are you going in France I can give some pointers on where to get ...
    (rec.travel.europe)
  • Re: red wine
    ... And you can get cabernet in a box for about ... > Wine in a box is a great ... white smocks and white hats, laddles in hand, from 100 liter mugs. ...
    (sci.med.cardiology)
  • Re: U.S. customs duties on alcohol
    ... > allowance>of 1 liter of wine or spirits. ... >>I looked at the documentation on the U.S. Customs web site but it was ... > I came back this year with a case of expensive French wine and had the ...
    (rec.travel.europe)