U.S. customs duties on alcohol

U.S. citizens returning from other countries have a duty-free allowance
of 1 liter of wine or spirits. I'd like to bring back more than this on
an upcoming trip to France (not a lot, maybe 3 liters or so total).

I looked at the documentation on the U.S. Customs web site but it was so
full of bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo that I couldn't figure it out. Does
anyone here have personal experience they can relate? If it's a big
expense or hassle to bring in a couple extra bottles I'll just forget
about it. Thanks for your advice.

--
Boycott MCI for knowingly hosting spammers:
http://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/networks.lasso