Re: Key ring fob GPS now shipping

In article <C64C9981.57A10%peters@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
peter <peters@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/3/09 7:02 PM, in article
kurtullman-A4076B.13025803062009@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Kurt
Ullman" <kurtullman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In article <C64C76B2.579F9%peters@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
peter <peters@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As has been explained in this thread, that's not true. You need to put wifi
on, but you don't need wifi data.

Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that this function
looks at available wifi networks (like seeing mine or Panerras or
whatever) and then deduces where you are based on where the networks it
can see are. How would it work on a cruise ship where the only wifi
available would be the ship's and that moves around some.

Beth discussed using the iPhone as a "back to the ship" option. If you are
in a port with sufficient hotspots nearby and have briefly "localized" the
map before, you should be able to "park" the ship and find your way back.

Thanks. I guess I had lost track of the discussion over the ensuing
few thousand posts (grin).

--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton's Third Law meaning that, for every action

  • Re: Key ring fob GPS now shipping
    ... peter wrote: ... put wifi on, but you don't need wifi data. ... How would it work on a cruise ship ... I guess I had lost track of the discussion over the ensuing ...
    (rec.travel.cruises)
  • Re: Key ring fob GPS now shipping
    ... peter wrote: ... but you don't need wifi data. ... looks at available wifi networks (like seeing mine or Panerras or ... Beth discussed using the iPhone as a "back to the ship" option. ...
    (rec.travel.cruises)
  • Re: Key ring fob GPS now shipping
    ... peter wrote: ... but you don't need wifi data. ... looks at available wifi networks (like seeing mine or Panerras or ... The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle ...
    (rec.travel.cruises)
  • Re: Airport Express dropouts and disconnects
    ... If voodoo works, I'm happy with voodoo. ... Coconut wifi ... seeing if that network is visible by your Airport. ... provide useful reports on local WiFi networks. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • RE: How safe / unsafe is Free Open WiFi?
    ... I;m not defending WEP by anymeans, ... How safe / unsafe is Free Open WiFi? ... using open wifi networks is more risky than, say, sitting in my office ...
    (Security-Basics)