Re: Key ring fob GPS now shipping

In article <C64C9981.57A10%peters@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
peter <peters@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/3/09 7:02 PM, in article
kurtullman-A4076B.13025803062009@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Kurt
Ullman" <kurtullman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In article <C64C76B2.579F9%peters@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
peter <peters@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As has been explained in this thread, that's not true. You need to put wifi
on, but you don't need wifi data.

Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that this function
looks at available wifi networks (like seeing mine or Panerras or
whatever) and then deduces where you are based on where the networks it
can see are. How would it work on a cruise ship where the only wifi
available would be the ship's and that moves around some.

Beth discussed using the iPhone as a "back to the ship" option. If you are
in a port with sufficient hotspots nearby and have briefly "localized" the
map before, you should be able to "park" the ship and find your way back.

Thanks. I guess I had lost track of the discussion over the ensuing
few thousand posts (grin).

--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton's Third Law meaning that, for every action