Re: Travel to Canada via Cruise Ship

On Sun, 10 May 2009 13:06:30 -0700, "John Sisker"
<jsisker@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

For the short answer, a passport is required.

Hi Everyone,

John has given incorrect information in his answer. As a matter of
clarification although it is recommended that an US citizen have a
passport, it is not required if the passenger is doing a round trip
from the same U.S. city such as the original poster stated from
Seattle returning to Seattle. Cruises leaving Seattle that return to
Seattle are considered "closed loop cruises". If a passenger were to
have to leave the cruise early and fly back to the US, then a passport
would be required but not if he just traveled to/from the same US city
by cruise ship. He would still be required to have the government
issued photo ID and certified copy of their birth certificate.

Here is a quote from the U.S. State Department's web site. I
capitalized the part regarding closed loop cruises.

All Americans traveling by air outside of the United States are
required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter
the United States. This requirement will be extended to sea travel

Various cruise lines word this "closed-loop cruises:" exception in
various ways. Here is how NCL words it:

As of June 1st, 2009:

"For sailings that depart from and return to the same U.S. port, you
need a valid passport or proof of citizenship and a valid
government-issued photo I.D. (driver's license with a photo), or any
other WHTI compliant document. Proof of Citizenship examples include:
an original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth
certificate, certificate of U.S. naturalization, original certificate
of U.S. citizenship, or a U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad.

For open-jaw sailings (cruises that depart from one U.S. port and
return to a different U.S. port), you are required to carry a valid
passport, U.S. passport card or Enhanced Drivers License, as well as
have in your possession all relative visas that pertain to your travel
itinerary. Permanent residents of the U.S. are required to carry their
valid ARC cards for boarding AND passport from their country of
citizenship, if available.

Note: If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and
need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship, or should you
unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the
end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the
U.S. by air. To that end, NCL strongly recommends all guests to obtain
a passport for their voyage on any NCL vessel."

Best regards,
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905