Re: Funny Federer quote

In article <1152903040.667003.81420@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
alhabib@xxxxxxxxx (Habib) wrote:

Hard-Cell wrote:
"I used to love reading everything about me. I kind of stopped doing
that.
Even press conferences sometimes are tough to do on a daily basis,
because
you feel you're talking to a psychiatrist or something. And then you
come
out and you say, 'I can't believe I just said that.' It's kind of
difficult."

--I guess the boy's learning.

I really think you overblow his arrogance. If you just became famous,
you'd probably enjoy reading about yourself too, for a while. And then
it would get tedious.

Yup. One of my good friends wrote a first novel that came out two years
ago, and it was a publishing sensation. And at first, yes, she enjoyed
seeing the coverage and being the center of so much attention, and then
after a while she said it was just too many voices and stopped entirely.
Her SO still scans stuff sometimes (in particular, I asked him to look at
a piece I'd written about her after it was published in case there was
anything she was likely to be upset about that we'd have to deal with),
but it just got ridiculous for a while. It certainly was not arrogant of
her to enjoy the coverage at first, and it isn't of Federer either. Anyone
who becomes successful on that level has worked hard for it. My friend's
comment to a BBC interviewer at one point was that she felt she owed it to
the person who'd been shut up for ten years working on the novel (while
holding down a full-time job) to enjoy the attention and success as much
as possible.

In a situation like Roddick's, although it *sounds* like you should read
people's criticisms looking for good advice, the fact is that everyone has
their pet idea about what you need and most of the ideas conflict. In the
end, you have to decide for yourself what you need (or pick one or two
people you really trust to make that decision for you, such as a coach)
and go with that. You just *can't* take all the advice you're offered.

wg

  • Re: Funny Federer quote
    ... who becomes successful on that level has worked hard for it. ... holding down a full-time job) to enjoy the attention and success as much ... You just *can't* take all the advice you're offered. ... pissed on by nadal to put out the fire. ...
    (rec.sport.tennis)
  • Re: Funny Federer quote
    ... who becomes successful on that level has worked hard for it. ... holding down a full-time job) to enjoy the attention and success as much ... You just *can't* take all the advice you're offered. ... pissed on by nadal to put out the fire. ...
    (rec.sport.tennis)
  • Write to Bond Uni? was Re: Treat Higgs with respect, Higgs tells RSC
    ... Perhaps that's why you continually and loudly draw everybody's ... feed on attention and whose favourite type of attention to gnaw away ... at with their drooling gums is the truth. ... But good advice is good advice irrespective of the ...
    (rec.sport.cricket)
  • Re: Noyes on AMA. Again
    ... The only way to get publicity and attention is via TV ... TV coverage of M/C sport is poor in the USA and monopolised by a single Satellite-Cable channel that is dominated by NASCAR. ... If they can't do that then control of the series should be split, with the AMA acting as a regulatory and authorisation body and the actual series management handed to a promoter who does know how to work the TV companies. ...
    (rec.motorcycles.racing)
  • Re: Pendula Begonia
    ...  I have never been successful is ... When the tubers get big, some do, you can cut them in half or break off ... Judith lives in a very cold, mountainous part of France, though. ... big difference to the advice you may get on this and other things. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)