Re: Transition move and right elbow on downswing

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:47:49 -0500, "DK" <none@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

After reading SLAP, I realized my over-the-top swing could be caused by, on
the downswing, my right elbow coming down in front of my right hip, causing
my arms to swing out to far.

Your right elbow is supposed to be in front of your right hip. It
allows for your hands to be delivered well forward for impact.
Sometime, somewhere someone said keep your right elbow tucked into
your right side and its destroyed millions of swings since than.

Now I'm working on the transition move and
beginning my downswing with the hip slide and turn, so I can clear my right
hip out of the way to make space for my right elbow coming down, leading to
a more inside swing path.

When I do this new swing, on the downswing it feels like my right elbow is
coming down from BEHIND my right side, and then at impact, my right elbow
catches up and is at my right side (just above the side of my right hip). In
other words, it's kind of like, early in the downswing, my right side and
right hip are winning the race to the ball, but then my right elbow catches
up to them at impact.

And this is probably why you come over the top. If you feel like your
right elbow is coming from behind your right side than your right side
is getting in the way. One thing SLAP does that most amateurs I see
don't do is stay in their posture. SLAP stays in posture while
turning the hips. This keeps the hips back while allowing the right
hip to turn without getting in the way of the right elbow. SLAP even
points out the tight clearance between the right hip and elbow. Most
amateurs I see come out of posture in the downswing and move the hips
inward. When that right hip turns it rotates in the way of the elbow.
Therefore to clear it they have to swing out and around = over the
top. Based on the feeling you described I bet this is what your
doing.

The hips slide to 1) shift your mass left of center shifting your
weight and 2) tilt your axis driving your right shoulder down. The
right shoulder starts the club down on plane then the right forearm
takes over and keeps it on plane through delivery, release and impact.
The hip turn is the action that causes the pivot to rotate like a
rotor or fly wheel causing angular velocity. Since the pros rely on
this angular velocity for power and distance it's reflected in the
SLAP model, that's why it has such a massive downswing hip turn.

Amateurs don't need this massive hip turn to play good golf. In fact
most will probably play better by reducing it.

David Laville, G.S.E.M.
The Golfing Machine Authorized Instructor
TB-8982
.