Re: Lowest ODI strike rate (excluding ducks) by an opener?

On Feb 23, 6:40 pm, Uday Rajan <udayra...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Feb 23, 5:37 pm, prabhu <prabra...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Feb 23, 2:24 pm, John Hall <nospam_no...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

3: 34  Shoaib Mohammed   Pak v WI,  Gujranwala     1986

4: 62  Rizwan-uz-Zaman   Pak v WI,  Sialkot        1986

Rizwan-uz-Zaman's effort seems to be in a class of its own.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.cricket/msg/f05076590dbfde22

The post in your link points to a genuine problem. In many of the odos
in that Pak-WI series in 1986, the number of balls do not add up in
the following sense. The total number of balls faced by the batsmen
should add up to the total number of balls bowled according to the
bowling analyses plus the number of no-balls bowled. Sometimes, the
number of no-balls bowled is less than the no-ball extras, but the
number of no-ball extras puts an upper bound on the number of no-
balls.

In the Rizwan-uz-Zaman innings, the scorecard says the batsmen faced
293 balls, yet the bowlers bowled only 45 overs (270 balls) and there
were only 2 no-ball runs, so at most 2 no-balls. The balls don't add
up for the WI innings either.

There were 2 nbs and 22 w in that innings. So, assuming Wides were
counted against the batsmen (I wouldn't be surprised if they did)
then 270+22+2= 294

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that match and batsmen really used
to see off West Indies fast bowlers in many of the matches. 4 for 62
absolutely make sense (esp when there is 5 of 40 from Srikanth and I
remember Akram toying around with Chikka in that match)

  • Re: Lowest ODI strike rate (excluding ducks) by an opener?
    ... The total number of balls faced by the batsmen ... bowling analyses plus the number of no-balls bowled. ... number of no-balls bowled is less than the no-ball extras, ... In the Rizwan-uz-Zaman innings, the scorecard says the batsmen faced ...
    (rec.sport.cricket)
  • Re: Lowest ODI strike rate (excluding ducks) by an opener?
    ... 293 balls, yet the bowlers bowled only 45 overs and there ... so at most 2 no-balls. ... up for the WI innings either. ...
    (rec.sport.cricket)
  • Re: Same # of balls by each side in a Test match
    ... not wide balls, in the deliveries faced by a batsman. ... calculate a player's strike rate. ... No-balls are a little different, ... deliveries, since a batsman does have the chance to score off them. ...
    (rec.sport.cricket)
  • Re: "Two no balls"
    ... Rushworth to Hildreth, 2 no balls ... Are they "charging" two runs for a no-ball now and if so how long has this ... Looking back at old scorecards on CricInfo, it was certainly in place in the ... judging by the even numbers of no-balls on the few scorecards I looked at. ...
    (uk.sport.cricket)
  • Re: % innings of 25 Runs or less
    ... every innings they play. ... balls you face (and will again become more frequent as you become ... That arbitrariness manifests itself repeatedly ... sucker he definitely is lucky no doubt. ...
    (rec.sport.cricket)