Why some pros aim low on warm up strokes

On video tapes, some top US pros like Mizerak, as well as most of the
great Filipino stars like Bustamante are near the bottom of the cue
ball when rehearsing the final delivery stroke. They do it on every
shot as if they were about to draw the ball -- even when they intend to
hit center ball or apply top spin.

Asking around at a tournament I heard two interesting reasons given
from various players (even some who don't aim this way):

-- Rehearsing low when grooving the aiming line to the object ball
enables some players to see more of the cue ball and thus (for them)
more of the relationship between cue ball and object ball.

-- For some players' vision, since the very bottom of the cue ball
contacts only a small point on the cloth, it's easier to guarantee that
you're truly on the vertical centerline of the cueball during initial
sighting of CB to OB aiming line.

Hope this gives some insight to others who like me, were puzzled by
certain players always starting their aiming from very low on the cue
ball. I've subsequently experimented with this on difficult shots and
it has improved my pocketing a great deal in spite of feeling odd at
first. I'm working to do it now on every shot to further ingrain the
habit, since for my vision, it has proven helpful.

-- Carlton

  • Re: STROKE EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT IT
    ... STROKE YOU CAN NEVER BE A CHAMPION OR ADVANCE VERY HIGH IN POOL. ... Ball bangers ask me, why does my cue ball hop when I shoot? ... most of the bangers are jacked up a ton on every shot. ...
    (rec.sport.billiard)
  • Re: Curving an object ball? (Part 3)
    ... The problem is that you are using an incorrect premise about how cue ... object balls curve. ... shot with english is like a mini masse shot, ... caused by a different principle than the curve of a billiard ball. ...
    (rec.sport.billiard)
  • Re: Probably a Stupid Question
    ... I have noticed that 60+ year old players stand higher above the cue, ... As a 9 ball player I address the ball more forward like alison and karen and ... oftentimes the cue hits my chin when shooting--and yes I have mad back ...
    (rec.sport.billiard)
  • Re: BREAK CUE. WHAT IS THE BEST WEIGHT?
    ... Match a cue to your body size. ... It is fast speed, hitting the Cue ball ... it is not about how hard you hit them; ... like winning a semi pro event. ...
    (rec.sport.billiard)