Re: Making 26.2 Work for All of Us

On 11/22/2009 3:16 AM, Ed Prochak wrote:
On Nov 20, 11:36 pm, "bgl"<bjone...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Edward Edmonds"<edward.edmo...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Honestly it's not the slow pokes that bother me, it's the slow pokes who
don't respect the distance and don't take it seriously, those are the ones
that really spoil it.

What do you mean by "take it seriously?"
bj

You spent time preparing.

You are NOT taking it seriously no matter what your finishing time if:
you signed up "on a whim", with no planning or training, as your first
race.
you signed up because your buddy is doing it and you can't let him be
better than you in anything.
you signed up because you just saw a replay of "Rocky" or "Chariots of
Fire".
you signed up because you are a weight lifter, so you should be able
to beat most of those skinny a**ed runners.

If you talk to folks before the race, you could find a few of these
types of folks out. There aren't many, but they are there. You cannot
tell just by their finish time.

HTH,
ed

+1

  • Re: Making 26.2 Work for All of Us
    ... don't respect the distance and don't take it seriously, ... that really spoil it. ... If you talk to folks before the race, you could find a few of these ...
    (rec.running)
  • Have you White folks lost your friggin minds!!! :-0
    ... SCAA White folks, ... What Kind of Card is Race? ... data confirming that the belief in black malingering about racism is ...
    (soc.culture.african.american)
  • Re: Resurrection Pass Trail Adventure
    ... It's supposed to be double your age in miles. ... Resurrection Pass Trail 50/100 race in 2005 and 2006. ... I often suggest to people that have some distance inclination to do ... I?d have to treat water along the way and carry more gear than normal. ...
    (rec.running)
  • Re: OT| Is Robert Plant a "race traitor?"
    ... brown people -- but only one ... Wow, you really got problems with race, don't you? ... shortage of brown folks. ... Someone who doesn't "root" for his own country to win a war on terror. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: marathon training
    ... |> Agreed, if you are racing a distance, train for the distance. ... You are right about trails & I think I am about roads. ... Why would one stop at 16 mi or 3 hr for a 26-mi race expecting to take 3.5+ hrs? ... Granted, the OP's long runs only appear to be about 1.5 hr long = which means he has no experience running beyond 2 hrs, let along 3 hrs. ...
    (rec.running)